My First Hummingbird Sighting

greenthumbzdudeJune 9, 2010

I have just seen a hummingbird in my garden for the first time. It happened yesterday, June 8th at around 6:40 p.m. I was sitting on my porch when i noticed some motion down by my shed. I saw it feeding on the coral honeysuckle down there. It only stayed there for a few seconds and then took off. I sure hope it comes back.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

Good for you. Certainly coral honeysuckle is one of their favorites in my yard. You may need more of their favs to keep them coming back and a feeder or two.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 11:09AM
kr222(6b)

Greenthumbzdude,
That's great! It's also quite encouraging to hear. I'm also in PA, near Reading. I'm still waiting on my first visitor. I have four coral honeysuckles (2 are just babies though). I hope they find mine too.

I hope your visitor comes back....with friends!
Kim

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 1:34PM
craftlady07(5b/6a)

I'm in Eastern Pa, near Allentown. Right now I don't have any typical hummer-attracting plants blooming, but I do have a feeder set up and have had some activity there for nearly a month now. it was more sporadic, but this week I've seen one there at least once a day. (I posted a picture of him a few minutes ago in a new thread).

I hope yours sticks around! :)

~Andrea

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 10:09PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Congrats! Hope you see it again.
Coral honeysuckle is a good choice. It blooms such a long time. If you have room for more, they're pretty easy to root.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™