Another candied fruit question

MissRumphius(4b)October 17, 2012

First - thank you Carol for your advice on my previous question re: candied pears and fruit flies. I froze the pears as you advised until we had a hard frost. They are now drying and look perfect.

However, my candied plums - not so perfect. After 2 weeks of increasing syrup density followed by several days sitting in syrup they still have opaque central white areas. My understanding is that they need to be completely translucent to avoid spoilage. I've got them back in the syrup now. Is there hope of saving them? Should I just throw them out and chalk this up to experience? Advice please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

I wouldn't throw them out. I haven't candied plums but my guess is these fruit had some hard or fibrous spots inside. It's probably been penetrated by the syrup but doesn't develop the texture or appearance of normal fruit. Just my guess.

I certainly wouldn't throw them out. Actually, with all that sugar I doubt there'd be spoilage but just in case, I do often keep my fruit in the freezer in the syrup and when ready to use drain. I use these fruits as ingredients in cakes or puddings and don't finish the drying and sugaring. They are wonderful too. Leftover syrup can be canned and used for beverages with sparkling water or to baste cake layers before frosting. Adds another element of flavor and assists in retention of moisture.

Carol

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 1:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MissRumphius(4b)

Thanks Carol. I do have a nice plum cake recipe - these may end up there instead of in my holiday candy assortment (which was the intent).

The pears, however are either getting sliced and drizzled with chocolate or becoming part of my pear-hazelnut truffles.

Elaina

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™