Plant Filler Suggestions

greenthumbzdudeJune 6, 2010

Hi,

i need some suggestions. I have gaps in my hummingbird garden that i would like to fill in. I need something that will spread and produce alot of flowers that hummingbirds will like. I thought about Black and Blue sage but i dont think i will be able to survive in my zone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daddyp

What size gaps are you talking about? And are you looking for perennials or annuals? What Zone are you in?

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 1:49AM
greenthumbzdude

the gaps are a about a foot but there are several of them. Iam looking for perennials and i am in zone 6. As i mentioned earlier iam looking for something that spreads and attracts hummers.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 8:28AM
hummersteve

greenthumb

Of ones I can think of that are perennial , spread and attract hummers are bee balm[the taller kind] and cardinal flower. Something else you might keep in mind that you could do with annuals that I did and it works. Another forum member had mentioned after a couple of frosts cut the annuals down to about 6 inches or less and cover the entire bed with a tarp or I used plastic[visqueen] and cover the edges with whatever bags of mulch, sheperds hooks , heavy rocks anything to seal the edges. Then dont uncover till it warms up april/may. Before I tried this method I had not had agastache tutti frutti come back for me here [tender perennial] but this year it did after covering. Also all the black and blues plus the new ones formed by the runners,, hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 11:47AM
tracey_nj6(6)

Bee balm is a must have; Jacob Cline is gorgeous. It's not as aggressive as some people have complained about; I truly wish it were. Mine seem to be dying off and I've been on the hunt for new plants. I see them everywhere, but now that I need one or two, none of my local nurseries have them! I have also noticed plenty of activity on my Lychnis chalcedonica (Maltese Cross). I have 3 varieties and this is the first year they've been hitting it alot. They do tend to reseed, which isn't a problem for me (I love it), but is easity managable by removing the spent seed heads.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Rufous Hummingbird spotted 11/13 and 11/14/14
I have a Rufous Hummingbird visiting my feeder in Northern...
AngieC46637
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™