Proven, Fool Proof Hummingbird Plants

swctJune 12, 2013

I have been attracting hummingbirds in my Connecticut yard for over 10 years with consistent success. This afternoon, I visited a large garden center which has thousands upon thousands of blooming plants under a canopy. I was looking for inspiration for new plants for containers when suddenly, a female ruby throat zoomed under the canopy, bypassed millions of blooms, and visited two plants:

Cuphea David
Salvia Guarantica

These two plants are truly the best of the best hummingbird plants!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spaceman13(6b)

I saw a youtube that recommended Cuphea. I think I found a job to add to my weekend "To Do" list!

Its only hardy to zone 8 - but it says you plant it as an annual, and root some cuttins to overwinter.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:25PM
mbrowne(9b Central CA)

Cool. The Cuphea is AKA cigar plant. Should be a perennial here. I think I need one.

This post was edited by mbrowne on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 0:51

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 12:40AM
spaceman13(6b)

Well, I couldn't wait till the weekend. I got out of work a few hours early, so I popped in to the garden center on the way home.

I didn't see any Cuphea 'David', but I got 2 'Totally Tempted' Cuphea Llavea. They were red, and the tag said "attracts hummingbirds" so I bought 2 in and put them in a pot with a Heliotrope, which was purple and said attracts hummers as well.

I also picked up 3 Crocosmias, 1 Lucifer, 1 Llittle Redhead and an Emberglow. I'll plant those this weekend instead.

I also picked up 2 - 8oz mini saucer type feeders for $4 each. They werent top of the line, but they'll be great for suplimental, if my other gets full-up. Woo-Hoo!!!

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™