Pumkin Seeds long term storage

ellen_inmo(6)October 25, 2012

Hey, its been a while! So, Im no stranger to roasting pumpkin seeds. But what Im after now is long term storage. The difference between drying and roasting is mentioned on NCHFP site, but doesnt get into details. What is the difference? And is drying what I need to do in order to preserve long term? I have been using a deydrator for many things in the past couple months and am just having a ball with the results.

I eat pumpkin seeds for the nutritious benefits, and would be extremely happy to never have to purchase them again!

As always, I did do a search on this here and on the web in general. However, like others here, I prefer to talk to you here on Gardenweb.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

They will keep longer if you just dry them.
When roasting, you're adding oil and that can go rancid faster.
Either way, if you store them in the freezer, they'll last much longer.

Personally, I prefer roasting because I can add flavors and salt. I probably wouldn't eat them plain.

Deanna

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 10:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellen_inmo(6)

Thanks Deanna. I did dry them and froze them. Surprisingly, they dont even appear frozen or cold at all in the freezer. I can pick them up individually, they are just cold and must be thawed. But I expected them to be more clumped up or something. Its not difficult at all to just grab a handful and so something with them.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™