maltese cross floppy...suggestions please

beaniebeagleJune 6, 2009

my maltese cross is just too floppy after it rains. I would rather see the hummingbirds in the air, not near the ground

which would be better, staking or pinching back?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mimidi(z8)

I hope someone can help you. I don't grow this plant.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 5:21PM
jeelli(5/6 CT)

I would stake yours and keep them nice and tall- I use stakes that have a three inch circle at the top. The circle also provides a perch for my visitors!

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 2:07PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I use the wire fencing and just cut it long enough to encircle the plant. It is only about 12-15 inches tall but it works like a charm. My 6 plants are over 4ft. tall and have gone through a couple of storms with winds between 20 and 30 mph this year already

Penny

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 7:45PM
beaniebeagle

thanks....stake it is

might need to use some wire fencing, have an area of about 4 feet by 6 feet full of them

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 10:52PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

If you use the rolled wire fencing the green blends right in with the plants and wehen they fill out you can't even see it. My plants just went through three days of rain and they are still standing strong. I also use it to encircle other plants that get very tall and clan be blown over by wind or rain including my 5 ft.tall salvia aureas and butterfly bushes. You can also use tomaoto cages for single specimen plants if you get them in place early in the spring before the plants get too large.

Penny

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 7:21AM
tracey_nj6(6)

I use one of those peony rings; works wonders. I've been growing them for years, and they're always floppy. This year we've had so much rain, and wouldn't you know it, none of them are flopping! My "Carnea" are over 5' tall, and NOT flopping. One of my "Dusky Salmon" is the same, but another is much shorter. The normal orangy/reds are sturdy & upright. I'm thinking now that they like LOTS of water. I've never seen them do better...

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 8:50PM
ladyrose65

I am reviving this because I would like to know will the flower do well in partial shade?

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™