Hummingbirds in Alaska?

solstice98(9b/Orlando)June 8, 2007

Probably a dumb question. I'll be in Alaska later this summer on a cruise, visiting Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Am I likely to see hummingbirds? I grew up in ND and we had them all summer, but not sure if they make the migration that far up the coast. If they are there, will there be Rufous? On the east coast we only get Ruby Throated so it would be fun to see something new!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dakster(z6 Cent.CT)

My guess is no right now..but then again..with global warming I'd not count it out in the (unfortunate) near future.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 8:54AM
solstice98(9b/Orlando)

This attached map seems to indicate there are hummingbirds there and a couple have already been sighted this summer. Guess I'll have to get there to find out for sure!
(I think the map comes up on Robins, but you can select for all kinds of things, including Rufous.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wave North Map

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 1:37PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I usually go to Fairbanks every summer and have never seen a hummer up there.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 1:25PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

The Rufous hummingbird does indeed breed in Southeastern Alaska. There breeding range encompasses the following areas: Ketchikan, Sitka, Point Couverden, and Montague Island. They start arriving in late March to mid April and Breeding commences soon afterward. They will start the migration south later this month or in early July but I think the majority will still be around until late summer so you probably have a pretty good chance of seeing some Rufous.

Penny

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 3:42PM
sooth

Kate, there are hummingbirds up in Alaska. The near-motorized-like sound of their wings beating brought on an especially quiet excitement. Gosh how I remember sitting so still, barely breathing; then afterward, jumping up to run tell my family members. Very much, it's a delightful memory, but just can't get my brain to recall which hummingbirds were there. Nineteen years ago I moved outside (married a wonderful man, we moved because of his job and now live in Florida, --pretty sure just south of where you are), but I was born and raised there. My family still lives there, mainly in Seward and Anchorage.

P.S. Not that you need any sort of prompting but please have photos of your trip....I'm hoping to go to the much anticipated Bopper Solstice Swap!!! :o) ...and thanks much in advanced, lol.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 5:10AM
solstice98(9b/Orlando)

Wow, I didn't expect an answer from Florida! Thank you and Happy Birthday! See you at the Swap.

Thanks to all who answered. I won't expect to see hummers in Alaska but I will continue to hope that I do. Maybe if I get a chance to visit one of the city gardens I'll have a better opportunity. I'll let you know!

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 6:43AM
sooth

Thanks, Kate, and enjoy your trip! Hope to see you too. :o)

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 8:51PM
gary5

We have them in Whittier, Ak. The show up in early May and leave in Aug.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://whittierak.yukontel.com

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Sponsored Products
Hummingbird 23.5 Inch Touch Lamp
$51.95 | Bellacor
Evergreen Gold White Opalescent Pewter Hummingbird Outdoor Wall
$420.90 | Bellacor
Deco Breeze DBF0261 Small Hummingbird Figurine Fan
Overstock.com
Ancient Graffiti Hummingbird Garden Stake - ANCIENTAG17005
$16.00 | Hayneedle
Celtic Hummingbird Wall Plaque - 146
$32.99 | Hayneedle