Canning supplies on clearance at Big Y

2ajsmamaOctober 16, 2010

FYI for all those in New England (? Not sure of territory). Walmart is starting to mark down their supplies (I got the last case of quilted jelly jars for $7 instead of $8.12), but not much of a reduction yet here. WDM lids still $2, pectin $2.50, "Elite" domes and bands $4.

Big Y, on the other hand, had no jars left but had packs of WDM lids for 65 cents/doz, RM lids 49 cents, WDM lids and bands $1.25, RM lids and bands $1, Ball N-S pectin 62 cents, 2 lb Ball pickling salt (*now* I find it!) 75 cents.

I bought 4 lb of salt - any ideas on how to keep it from clumping over the next 10-11 months? I have a Foodsaver but not the canning jar attachment (yet). Can I just wrap the unopened bag(s) in freezer wrap and seal it? Is Ziploc good enough? Tupperware? Or just original bag?

I spent $18 but I'm all set for next year!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayskats

what is Big Y?

did they have any pickle crisp?

re the salt .. mine doesn't clump very much in the pantry in original packaging .. the last batch I bought came in a ziplock package and if it clumps at all, I just give it a whack on the counter.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 9:36AM
2ajsmama

No, no Pickle Crisp. Walmart didn't even have it (though they *did* have Pickling Lime). If I see it, I'll pick some up for you.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 11:21AM
kayskats

actually, I have the pickling lime ... and the salt

thanks anyway.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 11:35AM
berrybusy

A good tip to check the clearance shelves. And thanks to that, I got pectin at Walmart for 50 cents a box. (I had saved all my coupons!) Not quite as cheap as buying in bulk at the Mennonite's store (about $2 for 2 cups, roughly equals 6 boxes)but when I figured in gas $$ it's pretty close.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™