Hummers Like my Fence Posts??

hydrangeasnohio(6a)June 14, 2010

I have a weird question?? I have a hummingbird that goes crazy for my fence post. He or she keeps poking them and can't get enough of them?? Crazy?? It has been going on for over a week now. They are 2 year old treated lumber 4 by 4 posts? I am not huge into Hummingbirds, but have one feeder I put out every year, plus some plants they like. Far from anykind of expert on them either, but I enjoy them along with the butterflies in my yard. Just never seen nothing like it. I was wondering if anyone else knows whats making them do that or has had it happen also???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jjdbike

Not an expert & just a guess. Perhaps is some type of small insect they are feeding on?
JD

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 5:59AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I notice tiny insects on everything wood in my yard. My adirondack chairs are infested with tiny red spider-like creatures. There are a number of little insects on the split rail fence.

The closer I look, the more stuff I keep finding.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 7:14AM
hydrangeasnohio(6a)

I am so novice about hummingbirds I didn't even think of that they might be eating insects. I bet you guys are right. I haven't noticed in the last couple of days the hummingbird going after the post anymore. Just the feeder. So I guess the insects were short lived or he likes the feeder better now. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™