Fragrant Bouquet without white margin

dray67(7)May 1, 2012

I�m a long time lurker to this forum and lifelong gardener. Only this year have I developed a serious hosta habit. I added a new 8 by 25 shade bed just for Hosta this spring. I have been prowling the nurseries for the names that interest me. I have gone back and looked at the hosta I added in the past and found tags to correctly identify them.

I have a Fragrant Bouquet that I purchased as a TC at Wal-Mart 3 years ago. Planted in the late summer this is the second spring for me. Just 2 eyes this year and it has never had a leaf with a margin. Shape color and texture match the descriptions i see on line but no white edges.

Do you think it is mislabeled or reverted to a solid plant? Or could it be just to young and small? Is this common?

I'll get a photo this evening.

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

It is common to find mislabled plants at big box stores like Walmart. I do not recommend buying plants there or at other big box stores, not just because they mislabel plants, but also because they sell plants with viruses.

Read below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy Hosta.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 12:55PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Welcome Dave. I would guess it was mislabeled - with a picture we can probably ID for you. Hopefully some MD area posters can list some specialty Hosta sellers nearby to enable your interest even more.

In case you need it - a link below for posting pics.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Post A Picture (Photo)

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 1:02PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Do not know about it being normal to not have the white margin because it is "young."

I got this plant last fall, spent one dormant winter, and this is how it looked about last week, with the margins.

Let's see your plant, and compare. I checked the Hostapedia, and did not find much under Fragrant Bouquet that was a solid leaf color, no mention of a tendency to revert to solid. Someone with more experience than I might answer the question.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 1:15PM
dray67(7)

[I]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/p480x480/579189_3812219314442_1546313282_3144456_292506596_n.jpg[I]
Ok so i have the HTML code but i cant find where to put it

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:40PM
caliloo(z6/7)

Dont use the "image" code, use the use the "html" code that begins with

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:44PM

OK I was able to copy the code from another picture and apply it to this one.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:02PM
dray67(7)

here it is next to Elegans planted the same day in the same sized pot for perspective

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:17PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Sure does not look like my Fragrant Bouquet, does it.
Leaf shape is different, and definitely the color different.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 1:15AM
tomahawkclaim

Dave -- You've learned a ton from this thread: How to post a picture; that your plant is not Fragrant Bouquet; and NEVER, NEVER to buy hosta from Walmart! They're frequently diseased and very frequently mislabeled (can't you picture patrons browsing through the plants, pulling up a tag, studying it, and sticking it back just about anywhere?) Welcome! Nance

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 7:01AM

Possibly a young Fried Green Tomatoes. Let me see if I can find a picture of mine when it was new.

Here it is.

Looks similar, but you would have to identify the flowers to be sure.

Steve

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 7:10AM
chris-e(7 MD)

Hi Dave,

I am in Maryland, in Montgomery county. Unfortunately I do not know of any hosta nurseries close to me. I get most of my plants by mail order.

I have also bought a few from other nurseries that have lot of different plants, but the host selection is small. I have even (gasp!) bought some from Lowes and so far have not had any problems with disease.

Try the favorite nurseries mentioned by the people here. My favorite, and possibly in driving distance for their Open House, is Bridgewood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bridgewood Gardens

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 4:13PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Dave, nice thing about the Fried Green Tomatoes is it is in the same family as the Fragrant Bouquet. Most of them in the plantaginea family ARE fragrant to some degree or another. Depending on what it's been crossed with, the bloom could be anywhere from white to lavender.

Bridgewood has a lot of different hosta, so if you see the chance to attend their Open House, go for it. You'll be amazed and delighted to be able to talk face to face with folks who know about hosta. My only outlet for that is this forum.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 5:08PM
wieslaw59

This is my hosta Fragrant Bouquet. It took 3 or 4 years for the plant to bloom. The flowers are big and the smell is strong,pleasant, similar to the smell of lilacs. It bloomed late in September if I recall correctly.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 7:33PM
Hostarina(7B)

wislaw, I LOVE your Hosta, but it ain't Fragrant Bouquet, either! I've grown, compared & googled mine for 10 years ~ mine looks looks like mocc's, although mine is paler...

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 3:23AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Hostarina, I wouldn't discount wislaw's FB - lighting in pic just makes it look darker. Pic is also late in the summer when leaves start to show more color.

FB leaf in late August

Paul

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
what do you plant in
This is my newest planted my husband buffed and painted...
almosthooked
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™