New

tdr4July 6, 2008

I garden for butterflies but have seen a hummingbird the last 2 days in my yard. Today it was by my crepe myrtle. Do they like the blooms of a crepe myrtle or was it just an accident. Yesterday it was getting nectar from a bush with red blooms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lorna-organic

I am not familiar with the crepe myrtle flowers, so I don't know--depends upon the shape of the flower. Any tubular shaped flower can provide nectar for hummingbirds.

Lorna

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 4:14PM
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

Crepe myrtles aren't especially attractive to hummingbirds as a nectar source, although they will check them out (especially if the tree has red or pink blooms). But the open branching of a crepe can make for an attractive perch from which to guard a feeder or preen.

But there are plenty of butterfly plants that can and do attract hummers, since both creatures appreciate nectar-rich blooms. Most of us who aim to attract one end up getting some (or plenty) or the other too! It's definitely a win-win situation.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 9:04PM
hummersteve

Hummers are especially attracted to anything red such as , a garage door handle , red string or ribbon. They will check these out , I have even seen them check out my tomato blooms, but anything trumpet shaped or tubular could contain nectar for them.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Rufous Hummingbird spotted 11/13 and 11/14/14
I have a Rufous Hummingbird visiting my feeder in Northern...
AngieC46637
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™