2014- Most visited flower

cindip(z7 NC)July 26, 2014

Hi y'all,
What is the flower or plant that the hummingbirds have visited the most this year? Last year it was lantana at my house. This year it is Black & Blue salvia, a purple pentsemon (I think it is pikes purple) and a coral bean flower.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

Tough to say; individual hummers have their favorites, so the most-visited fluctuates with which hummers are hanging around. Right now. the most visited is probably a toss-up between Tecoma 'Orange Jubilee', various Russelia and Salvia 'Amistad'.

Oddly enough, one bush they fought over last year, leonotis, has received few visitors this year. I pruned it way back, but it has been flowering again for a while now without much interest. Kangaroo paws were popular in the spring, but they are finished with their bloom period now.

I pretended the flowers on hummingbird feeders didn't count in this survey... ;)

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 12:41AM
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

The old standards are proving their worth yet again.

Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue'
Russelia equisetiformis
Cuphea 'David Verity'
Various honeysuckles - Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler', Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina', Lonicera x heckrottii 'Gold Flame', etc.

For fun I have some potted plants on the back deck railing so we can watch them from the kitchen window and back door window. I've got a Goldfish Plant, red lantana, cape fuchsia, Bouvardia ternifolia and my Baja Fairy Duster (Calliandra californica) is finally starting to bloom!

I still haven't gotten any hummers to come to the feeder but that's okay since the Downy Woodpeckers adore it. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 10:07

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 2:39PM
sandyslopes z5 n. UT

They're loving the monarda (bee balm) and the hosta flowers.

Also, scarlet runner beans. I grew some on a trellis in the veggie garden, and the hummers love those, too!

This post was edited by sandyslopes on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 4:21

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 2:09AM
ladyrose65

I have one returner that loves the 'jacob cline' monarda.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 10:45PM
bouquet_kansas(z6Ks)

The hummers go-to flowers in my garden this season
are Black and Blue Salvia and zinnias.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 11:57PM
vlunceford

There is a pair in our yard who enjoy the baskets of pink portulaca hanging on our deck.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 6:10PM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

In my garden the nasturtiums are the most visited, but they are also the most numerous.

I've also been buzzed several times while picking pole beans, I never thought of veggies as hummingbird plants but I often see them visiting the beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes, and whenever I let brassicas go to flower (broccoli, kale, etc.) the hummers love it.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 9:03AM
shillanorth Z4 AB

Once again it is the Raspberry Wine monarda, hands down!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:26AM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Gorgeous photo, Shilla. A perfect shot of the little guy, complete with wings! He looks pretty well-fed :)

The Raspberry Wine is beautiful, much prettier than Jacob Cline, I think.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:31AM
cindip(z7 NC)

Gyr_Falcon, I recently bought a salvia amistad and cannot wait for it to bloom. I hope it does before the hummingbirds leave. :)

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:58AM
dave_k_gw

While in bloom, it was Silene regia. Then Lobelia cardinalis and Standing Cypress var. Burpee's Hummingbird Mix. Now also Cuphea x David Verity.

Bookmark   September 5, 2014 at 8:52PM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

For me, it's been Honeysuckle 'Major Wheeler'-- but I have three of them, and it's a big area near the feeders. Second to that has been Agastache 'Ava'.

Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 6:37PM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

For me, it's been Honeysuckle 'Major Wheeler'-- but I have three of them, and it's a big area near the feeders. Second to that has been Agastache 'Ava'.

Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 6:38PM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

For me, it's been Honeysuckle 'Major Wheeler'-- seeing constant acitivty now. But I have three of them, and it's a big area near the feeders. Second to that has been Agastache 'Ava'.

The red Bouvardia ternifolia is also getting lots of visits now.

Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 6:40PM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Planted a couple of new 'Ava's this year in back, maybe 30 feet from the windows. Ava blooms the first year. Was astonished this morning to see a hummer feeding at the new plants for several minutes.

Didn't know I could actually see them that far away; also have monarda and Salvia guarantica and never saw a hummer on them.

Ava blooms so long, and such a bright color. Will plant more next year.

Bookmark   September 7, 2014 at 2:26PM
flyfishinggardener(6)

For me it has been Cardinal Flower,Rose of Sharon and Phlox. I added 3 new Honeysuckles vines this year but they have not flowered yet so next year we shall see if they take to them.

Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 2:53AM
More Discussions
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™