Freeze Damage or Not ?

Charlie44(7b)May 19, 2012

I just received these plants in the mail recently and I thought that they had freeze damage which is not an issue to me but someone mentioned that one looked like it might be diseased. Now I would like someone to confirm that this is indeed freeze damage and not diseased plants. Thanks for the help.

here's one

and here's another

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

shipping stress ...

ever hear of the tape method??

ken

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:16PM
Jagd51(5)

I agree with Ken! I don't see anything that would make me think HVX, if that's what has you worried. I have a LOT of freeze damage, especially on the thinner leaved varieties like Frozen Margarita and Fragrant Bouquet, and yours don't look anything near as bad.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:39PM
donna_in_sask

Sorry to alarm you unnecessarily, Charlie...it was me that mentioned about it possibly being diseased. I never had any that leafed out like that; it looked so different from your other hostas, and we are all sort of on the alert for signs of virus these days.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:43PM
Charlie44(7b)

Donna, no need to apologize. I'm relatively new to the Hosta world and any advice,help or tips I get are greatly appreciated. Ken I can't say that I have heard of the tape method.Again thanks for the help.

Charlie

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 4:11PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Charlie,

Ken is referring to a method of holding the leaves in an upright position. It's explained in ken's post about moving fully leafed out hosta.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0614155422721.html

bkay

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 4:30PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Charlie, we should mark pages for you, I guess. So you can skip right to the good stuff.

Look for the part which looks like he's making a pony tail with masking tape--on the petioles below the leaves. It really helps keep the plant from wimping out. Collapsing. Falling flat on the pot rim. From which it has a more difficult time recovering.

I personally recommend the low tack masking tape, easier for me to remove, although you can use scissors (carefully) when the time comes to remove it.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™