First gorget feathers

ctnchprJuly 19, 2008

I think he's from the first batch of babies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

Beautiful pic! You have a serious advantage with that feeder. Keep them coming; thanks!

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 12:37PM
lesleyann

Excellent Picture!! When I first hung my feeders last year after discovering that we had them (ignorance is bliss sometimes...lol). I had a baby male that dominated the one outside of the kitchen window. He had one spot like that one at the base of his neck and I thought (ignorantly again) that it was a female, so I named her "Spot." Well, after the looooong winter without my tiny feathered friends, I researched all I could about them and realized it was an immature male. I now have 6 feeders in my yard, one in front of all my windows. I am HOOKED. I started watching the migration map on Hummingbirds.net in February and looking out my window daily. They finally arrived in early April. Don't have the activity that I did in late september when there were 8 fighting over one feeder and I could stand on the porch and they would move my hair and even land on my arms. It was too cool. But I know they will be back in droved in september on their way back south.
Shame I don't have a decent camera that I could catch such a spectacular photo as yours. But there will always be the memory of them....

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 12:39PM
hummersteve

Excellent capture, I would have to agree that it comes from the first nestlings. Keep up the good work.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 1:41PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Awesome! You folks are making me want to go get more feeders and put them by the windows!

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 1:58PM
ctnchpr

Thanks, y'all!!

hummersteve, there's been a moderate increase in activity this past week, so I'm thinking the 2nd batch of babies has arrived.

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 2:52PM
nicole__(z5Colorado)

Good pic! :0)

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™