Bamboo Trellis and Lacunosa Cuttings

postpunkgirl(7b Texas)September 18, 2011

At first, I was nervous to try a trellis with my Krimson Queen... because she had been in the exact same position for three years, but I just love the way they look... and I felt bad letting her pile up on the table. I hope she likes it. :)

AND my little Ruby Sue from Lowes that looked so scabby and mite-y... was given double Neem treatments and then I took a bunch of cuttings. They are all doing so well! YAY!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammypie(9)

Hi Postpunkgirl,

Your KQ looks more "transparent" than my KQ. My KQ would never be put on a bamboo trellis because the vines and leaves are so thick.

I also have a H. Lacunosa 'Tove' growing on a bamboo trellis, it's getting along nicely.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 3:41AM
postpunkgirl(7b Texas)

My KQ gets a ton of bright sun... and I think the lighting and camera app really exaggerates the contrast as well. Here she is with my regular camera at a different time of day:

The vines are pretty heavy... I had to use a lot of floral clips to hold them to the trellis.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 8:44AM
greedygh0st

Looks great! I'm sure you've read this somewhere already, but when trellising Hoyas always be sure the growing tip isn't pinned facing down or it will die back to the last node. I think some Hoyas are more sensitive about this than others, and there's still a certain amount of die back that happens because you annoy them for some other reason, so... lol.

What I usually do on the downward loop is leave enough length of free hanging vine so that I can hook the growing tip over a leaf on the other side, so it's pointing sideways instead of down. Seems to work.

But, like I said, I can't really tell what you've done with that lighting. So yr probably one step ahead of me. ^_~

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 11:29AM
postpunkgirl(7b Texas)

I'll have to take better pics... I was trying to be artsy, lol. I have one vine pointing down, but it is not really pinned at the bottom... so thanks, I will definitely try to take your advice and loop it to the side! And there is also one peduncle that is now facing SLIGHTLY upward as opposed to down. Should I worry about it as well?

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 11:44AM
greedygh0st

Nah, I don't think they care which way their peduncles are pointing. Maybe if it was budding up at the time...

Love that yellow plate.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 4:35PM
postpunkgirl(7b Texas)

OK, here is a pic with light flash only. I turned the end vine out to the side... and the leaves and peduncle are already adjusting to their new light angles! Thanks again greedy!

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 10:09AM
mairzy_dotes(zone 10)

Just precious! ....And the hoya is very nice looking too. :-)

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 10:38AM
postpunkgirl(7b Texas)

Thank you Mairzy!

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 11:31PM
ima_digger

Very pretty picture. You can really see the leaves now. before there was too much light coming in. I'm no camera pro, but this last picture is awesome, and very eye-pleasing.
Thanks for posting the plant again.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Care instructions for ...
Can someone give me water/light/heat instructions for...
Diana_Gale
Hoya Kerrii Turning Yellow
Hi everyone I am a newbie to gardening and have bought...
hsaloot
Hoya ID Needed
I just bought this beautiful plant at a local garden...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
My frozen hoya
Last week our temps dropped down below 30 degrees and...
ima_digger
Sponsored Products
42'' Northwind Ceiling Fan by Emerson Fans
$159.00 | Lumens
Foremost Plumbing Tides 33 in. to 35 in. x 65 in. Framed Pivot Shower Door in
Home Depot
Crystal Laurel Six-Light Lantern in Warm Silver Leaf Finish
Bellacor
Hudson Valley Lighting | Waterloo Semi Flush Ceiling Light
$536.00 | YLighting
Moda Round Lace Chrome Five-Light 18-Inch Pendant with Royal Cut Rosaline Pink C
$820.00 | Bellacor
Couristan Mystique Kismet Rug Multicolor - 06231074020030T
$69.00 | Hayneedle
Table Lamps: Glitz 24 in. Table Lamp 3360-22
Home Depot
Light Center Engraved Personalized Cutting Board
$29.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™