First hummer I've seen all spring/summer

danakc(z6 SW ID)July 18, 2007

I have tried for the 7 years we have lived here to attract hummingbirds-feeders, flowers,etc. I would occasionally see one maybe in May but nothing after that. I haven't seen any this year. I figured it is just way to hot here.

Yesterday while sitting on my deck I looked over at my huge butterfly bush and what do you know, there was a hummer at it. I watched it feed then it flew to our aspen tree and sat for quite a while.

I was so excited, my family just rolled their eyes at me. Before we moved here, we lived in the mountains and I would have to fill 3 feeders every day, because we had so many birds. I really miss them.

Dana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_Ann(5)

Dana, I'm excited for you! I lived in an old farmhouse in the middle of cornfields and you can bet I had a hard time attracting hummers to my yard, but I kept planting bird-attractive plants (flowers, shrubs, and trees) and provided water sources and low and behold, after 8 years, I finally got my first hummer! They were regular visitors for the remaining 10 years I lived there. Enjoy, and I'll do a happy dance for you! :)

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 4:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

Dana---I know how you feel once youve had a lot of hummers and then hardly any , its difficult. Its sorta like losing a long time friend. But heres hoping you keep the one you have and he tells his buddies, good luck.

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™