Hoya lauterbachii

karyn1(7a)September 4, 2012

Is this a slow growing hoya? I was sent a rooted cutting 2 or 3 months ago. It looks healthy but has only put out 4 new pair of leaves, maybe 6" of total growth. I hadn't even looked this variety up until today and after seeing pics I'm really looking forward to it blooming.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

After reading thru more posts I still haven't found if it's a slow grower but I'm guessing I might not have much of a chance getting those big beautiful blooms : ( I might have been better off not looking it up.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 7:45PM
tropicbreezent

I'm looking for one too. Managed to get a small archibaldiana not long back, and my macgillivrayi has already flowered. So I want a lauterbachii in there as well.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 2:30AM
mdahms1979

Four new pairs of leaves in two or three months is a pretty good rate of growth. When the plant gets a little larger it will take off and grow much faster. This plant wants a lot of light and it can be difficult at times. It is a good idea to add dolomitic lime to the potting mix. I had trouble with my plant during the change of seasons and although it was quite large I lost if after a couple years.
Of the people who have bloomed this plant I think the consensus is that it needs to be large. From what I have read the plant likes to grow up and then cascade down, this is when it likes to bloom. I am not aware of anyone who has bloomed this plant indoors.

Mike

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 12:06PM
karyn1(7a)

Hope it grows well but I have a feeling it will eventually find a new home down south.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 11:31AM
tropicbreezent

Finally got a H. lauterbachii today. Went into one of the large department stores and there it was. Large rooted cutting in a small pot. Two thirds of it has 9 large leaves, the other third is bare to the growing tip.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 6:56AM
Asterope(SE Queensland, Australia)

I bought two of these last week, came in the mail yesterday, looking lovely and healthy and furry... I hope these dont go the way of my other furry ones!

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 6:41PM
karyn1(7a)

Do you think this hoya would do well in zone 10a/b, West Palm, FL., or might it still get too cold to grow it outside year round?

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 9:24AM
Asterope(SE Queensland, Australia)

Hi Karyn,

Where I live in Australia is between zone 10b/11a, its spring, the days are warm but I still have all my warm weather hoyas inside (the ones that survived being left out too long during a wet and coldish winter)

I dont think lauterbachii does too well outside if you have minimum temperatures below 15C/59F for any length of time.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:33AM
mitzicos(11)

My hoya lauterbachii is a very slow grower! I live in a tropical country, very hot and humid, the winter is mild, mine is kept inside because I live in an apartment!

In two years I only had 4 new leaves!

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:15AM
tropicbreezent

I'm in a zone 12b/13a, although the past 2 record cold winters may have brought it down to a certain 12b (or even 12a). But I plan to plant my H lauterbachii in a shady spot where it can grow out into the sun or stay in the shade as it chooses. Although it's still early spring our temps have been 36C to 37+C for the past month. Today was 39C, which I expect would fry the Hoya out in the sun.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 5:51AM
karyn1(7a)

I moved mine to the greenhouse last week. Summer's over and nighttime temps are averaging in the 50's with days 75-80. I like it but the lauterbachii doesn't. I'm more convinced then ever that this plant will be relocating to So. FL in the near future.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 5:05PM
trini1trini

I have this plant outdoors in zone 10a. It grows quickly in the summer. In the winter at around 45 degrees. I give it protection as I lose some of the leaves. A friend has his in the ground in zone 10b up a tree and it does fine.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
Hoya Krimson Queen with her crown
This is a 15 year old plant , she has never bloomed,...
smi2
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™