I'm pumped!!

denise_gwSeptember 1, 2010

My mother was over for lunch Monday, and I was showing off a few of my Hoyas. I was showing her my GIANT leaf on my macrophylla that I grow in my sunroom, south window that only gets some sun in the winter months. There was a wayward vine that swung around as I pulled the giant leaf for her to see and... guess what? There are about 4 leafless nodes with peduncles on them!!!! I've been growing this one for probably 10 years without a hint of buds, so I just about hyperventilated when I saw them...

And as if that' isn't excting enough, apparently this multiple peduncle thing is typical of this species. My variegated mac produced a node of multiple peduncles pretty early on and I thought it was a fluke. But I'm seeing at least two per node, and they're only now devloping - two of the nodes look like they're pushing out at least 3 or 4 others!!

I'll post a pic when they bloom.

Denise in Omaha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wrynsmom(5)

Denise! That is FANTASTIC!!! I can't wait to see pics. :)

Congrats,

Carolyn

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 9:37PM
gennykins(4)

Denise,

I'm excited and happy for you...and if you ever want to part with a cutting, let me know...

lisa

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 10:14PM
moonwolf_gw

Congrats, Denise!

Keep us updated on the new peduncles and if they bloom!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 11:00PM
mdahms1979

Denise I can just imagine how excited you must have been with such a surprise. It sounds like your plant is making up for not blooming all those years.

Mike

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 12:33AM
Jan Sword

Looking forward to the photos!

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 10:07AM
denise_gw

Thanks to all... I can't help but check them daily (you all know what I mean!) Like a watched pot, they will probably take forever to bloom. But I'm just excited that it's in that mode, finally!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 6:27PM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Is this your regular mac? I love that plant, it's so pretty.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 6:55AM
denise_gw

Hi Quinn,

Yes, my "Big Mac" with the solid green leaves that vary in size so much. I guess what I learned from this is that mac, like kerrii, will produce long leafless vines from which peduncles form. I usually try to keep my mac neat and trimmed, but this leafless vine was hiding behind a plant that was hanging in front of it and I didn't see it until I swung that huge leaf around to show it off. In the future, I'll leave those on, at least until it blooms!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 8:46AM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Your mac has a fan : ) I love that plant.

My kerrii definitely has a long, over two ft, leafless vine going right now. But straight up. I don't know where I got the notion that this was a hanging plant, because that is definitely not hanging. And I can't bend it to train it at all. I have no idea what to do with it; I think it wants to punch through my ceiling. On the plus side, I definitely see peduncle nubs.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 1:17PM
paul_(z5 MI)

And if you mother is like mine -- ie not really into plants at all -- I can just picture her tolerant "mom" face as she says "oh that's very nice dear"

LOL

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 7:29PM
denise_gw

Quinn, yes kerrii is a wayward child, stiff vines that can't be trained and so annoying at times. I keep it on a top shelf in my GH where it takes up more space than I should allow any one given plant, but I can't help but keep it...Fortunately, other kerrii cultivars tend to be more compact.

Paul, my mom does have plants, but isn't a plant nut like me. She wasn't exactly yawning, but I could tell her excitement level was far less than mine. But I suppose it's somewhat like the differnce between your toddler finally using the potty for the first time - ho-hum to everybody but mommy!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Hoya" preatorii& "lasiantha.
Hello hoya lovers, I need some help on my recent purchase...
cara
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™