Up then out?

ivysmomMay 8, 2012

OK, so far the 4 hostas I have in planter boxes in our shady alley, plus the one (Sum & Substance) potted in an oak barrel getting lots more sun are doing great! However, I noticed that my Empress Wu has started a more upright growth after being boxed and put in the alley, and the Sum and Substance is doing the same out in the sun. Is this normal?

The Patriot is sending up a scape and its growth is a small sprawl (horizontal). The June is a nice combo of up and out, the Stained Glass is a wonderful tangle of new eyes that look like a bad hair day.

Do certain sports/types have different growth habits (or different when they are young plants) than others, necessarily?

Btw, that Blue Yankee with the weirdo scape I cut off is growing slowest, but it is growing more out than up. It seems fine so far.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bkay2000

Different hosta have different growth habits. Look at Sagae in the Hostalibrary.org for upright growth. I'm sure there are better examples, but, at my house,Wide Brim is more sprawling, to use your term. I don't have Patriot, so I'm not sure about it. Sum and Substance is pretty upright. I don't have Empress Wu, but I think it's upright, too.

When you go to the hostalibrary, on the upper left hand corner is a link to myhostas.be which often has a description. On EW, it uses the term, "strongly upright".

bk

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:06PM
franknjim

S&S will end up being a mound shape as will EW. Ones like Regal Splendor, Krossa Regal, Sagae will be vase shaped.

Most young hosta will look different while immature. They can also look different early in the Spring before they are fully leafed out.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:25PM
bkay2000

Much better answer, Frank.

bkay

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:38PM
hostaLes(5)

Patriot will develop a compact mound of leaves on petiole that are perpendicular to the ground but quite short; upright but not vase shaped.

Les

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™