Name a plant and a celebrity

whgille(FL 9b)December 1, 2012

I went to Epcot yesterday and saw this plant that I really like it. Can you give me the name? it is a small tree with beautiful purple flowers, no thorns.

And can you name the celebrity? She was the speaker last night and she is wearing black and I know who she is, I just want you to guess,lol.

Silvia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladywingr(9b/10a)

Tibouchina and Whoopi Goldberg?

Looks like you had a wonderful day (and evening).

I love tibouchina, especially petting the leaves.

Terri

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 9:15AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Thank you Terry, you got it right both questions. It was a very nice day, first we went to have dinner at Coral Reef and while waiting outside I saw that they mulch their plants with crushed shells.

Whoopi was a great speaker at the Candlelight and the choir was amazing! It was a lot of fun.

Silvia

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 1:20PM
ladywingr(9b/10a)

We haven't been over there in quite a few years. Takes us about 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way. We need to put that on our to-do list. We have enjoyed one of the Polynesian (?) restaurants outside of the parks - they grilled their meats on ginormous shish-kebabs.

The crushed shell looks great along the walkway. I have collected shells in a non-planting spot under some pots. Looks really nice when it's been wet and all the colors show.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 8:31PM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

Lucky you - EPCOT's my fave Disney park! I love the look of crushed shell too = )

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 8:52AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Terri - About the tibouchina, is yours planted in amended soil? the one that I saw was like in a raised bed.
And yes you should try to make a trip to the park again, each time that I go is always something different.

Carol - I like to see all the countries in the park and the shops, it feels like if I am somewhere else...
The restaurant had a big fish tank inside where some people can get in if they want to.

the topiaries

Silvia

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 11:21AM
ladywingr(9b/10a)

The tibouchina I killed was in amended soil, too wet and too shady. Haven't tried it again, I just pet nursery plants now.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:16AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Terry - That is a good tip to know, if I get one the area where it will be going is sunny and fast draining. I also like the leaves.

Silvia

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™