missouri people

Ninapearl(2aIL)July 11, 2008

i have a friend near st. louis who tells me that the hummies are very scarce this year. while they normally have quite a few, they have only seen 2 or 3. does anybody know if there's an explanation for this? they live far from anywhere that flooded this spring.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theda-blue

Hi! I'm here in KC and have also noticed a lot less hummers this year. Not sure why though. I was recently checking out a butterfly forum and many of the members were worried about the lack of butterfly populations this year also. Wonder if the two are related? Seems like things have been cooler and rainier this year, maybe that's a factor.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 3:08PM
Ninapearl(2aIL)

hi almost-neighbor. :) i, too, have noticed a HUGE decline in butterflies this year! every year, i fill a clay saucer with sand and keep it damp, it sits on the deck railing and usually it's COVERED in butterflies. this year, hardly a single one.

how strange! same here though, cooler and much rainier than normal so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 3:43PM
bekcgarden(5b)

We have fewer butterflies this year, also. But, we do have one very territorial honey bee, which we haven't had in the other two years we've lived here. And, there is one hummingbird, the first time there has been one in three years.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™