Quick Question

PaphiaOctober 8, 2012

Do you know if I can take some of my hoyas to overseas from Australia? I know I cannot have any plant material from overseas but I am not sure the opposite... I have some friends in Europe and they want some hoyas when I go holiday

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

You have to have the proper paperwork to bring them back to your country. You should contact your Agricultural Department and ask about importing plants to know what you will have to do. Import permits are usually all that is needed plus paying for a phytosanitary certificate in the country of origin.

Mike

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 9:43PM
mdahms1979

You have to have the proper paperwork to bring them back to your country. You should contact your Agricultural Department and ask about importing plants to know what you will have to do. Import permits are usually all that is needed plus paying for a phytosanitary certificate in the country of origin.

Mike

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 9:45PM
tropicbreezent

There's no problem getting the plants out of Australia, the problems would arise when you go into the country you're taking them into. Get your friends to check with their agricultural/quarantine authorities on what their restrictions are. But usually cuttings of something like Hoya are okay, although anything with soil is generally stopped. If there's any paperwork required sort it out before you go.

I sent some Hoyas to Thailand (I know, most people here get Hoyas FROM Thailand) and the post office employee insisted I couldn't do it and refused to take the parcel. I called in the manager and asked them to prove it wasn't allowed. They came up with a page on the AQIS (Australian quarantine) site which when I read it said it wasn't allowed to IMPORT them without the proper paperwork (phyto). So they reluctantly accepted the package advising me it would end up being destroyed anyway. Later I got an email from the recipient in Thailand saying the plants came through in very good condition without any delays. Moral of the story, don't believe everything you're told.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 1:03AM
greedygh0st

Haha. I can't quite wrap my head around Thailand wanting plants from us. xD Go Australia.

Good story/info.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:13AM
tropicbreezent

True GG, but they're still winning, probably about 100,000 sent to us, a couple sent to them, LOL.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:44PM
Paphia

It's normal... That place is a Hoya Heaven :)

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 3:02AM
Paphia

tropicbreezent have you ever try to order any hoya from Thailand etc... Do you know how this process works?

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 12:54AM
More Discussions
Any tips on how to NOT kill this new Fishtail Hoya
I walked into lowes this morning and found this large...
tlbean2004
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™