I guess it wasn't the best year to start attracting hummers

michelliot(z7 ny)July 12, 2013

I've always been fascinated by these little creatures and was even more amazed every time I was able to spot one, which was only about 4 or 5 times during my six decades on this planet. Never around NYC, but on vacations to various parts of this country. Then last year while sitting on my deck in Queens, NY, I was overwhelmed when I saw one of these visitors sampling all he could from my dwindling red impatients of late fall. Ordered a hummzinger the next day, but it was already pretty late in the season and I didn't expect much. This year, I planted Black and Blue, and Red Salvias, Agastache, Floxglove, and a couple other trumpet florals.
I too, have not had any visitors as of yet, but I'm optimistic and I keep changing the nectar in the feeder with the hopes that last years momentary visit wasn't just a fluke. Seems I'm not alone this year.......Be well, elliot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shillanorth Z4 AB

I hear you - I`m sticking with the ``plant it and they will come`` theory as well as feeders everywhere and sooner or later at least one is bound to show up!!!!!

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 3:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamela_star(Zone 7)

I know how you feel. I just saw my first visitor today. Don't give up! My neighbor keeps seeing them in the morning. I have a least one hummingbird visit my feeders. My son saw one a few days ago, and I finally saw her today!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Pentas
Do Pentas attract hummingbirds? Im thinking about adding...
arkpollinator
Sponsored Products
Oakland Living Hummingbird Bird Bath - 5131-AB
$159.98 | Hayneedle
EZ Inflatables Hummer Off-Road Jumper Bounce House - B162
Hayneedle
Woodstock Hummer 15 Inch Wind Chime - HBRS
$20.40 | Hayneedle
Droll Yankee Window Mount Hummer Feeder with Nectar Guard - DROWH3
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Paddle Fan Speed Control by Legrand
$35.98 | Lumens