Does building orientation matter?

conchitaFL(10 Hutchinson Island)December 6, 2011

Hello, everyone. I'm considering buying a townhouse in south Stuart, and there are several for sale in the complex I'm considering. My main reason for wanting a townhouse rather than an apartment is to have the courtyard for growing. But most of the ones on the market now just happen to face NW or NE, and I'm wondering how well that's going to work, especially for winter vegetables.

Since I'll be doing containers I'd have some leeway in dragging them around, but I can't help wondering if being on that side is going to be a problem. Currently I face SW, which works fine most of the year, although of course it gets pretty brutal in the summer. My neighbor on the NE side has pretty good luck, but she can plant outside her fence, not in the courtyard itself. (Where I'm looking, that wouldn't be an option.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
imagardener2(9-10)

One of the top things we required for buying our current (and last 3 homes) was that the backyard face south, mainly because we like a bright indoor space but it is also perfect for gardening.

You are right that summers are brutal in heat and sunshine, but that is not the best gardening season in Florida anyway. What I have discovered however is that the north-facing front yard gets almost as much sun in the yard away from the building shadow and that the shade is "open shade'. Useful for growing things that would get fried in the sun (lettuce, roses).

I think where trees are located and the shadow of the building could be more important, as well as whether your condo association allows pots (if that's what it is) and where the water supply is because you will get tired of hauling water very quickly.

Good luck.

Denise

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 10:25AM
conchitaFL(10 Hutchinson Island)

Thanks, Denise. Luckily they don't seem to care what people do inside their fences, so that part's okay, and there's a spigot on the patio. But I've noticed that one or two of the north-facing units that have been unoccupied for a long time have a patch or two of mildew on the building walls in the courtyard, and I can't help thinking that's a bad sign, since the sprinklers can't possibly be hitting those spots.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 8:39PM
saldut

That mildew doesn't sound good... especially if the bldg. is frame..I would sure have a good Inspector look at what you are considering buying, so many things to think abt. especially with condo's or townhouses with this current market.... sally

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 3:34PM
conchitaFL(10 Hutchinson Island)

Yeah, sally, I'd rather not see that, but at least the buildings are poured concrete.

so many things to think abt. especially with condo's or townhouses with this current market

Isn't that the truth!

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 10:06AM
saldut

Well, driving thru' some of the developments, they build such shoddy structures... they set the OSB ( oriented strand board ) right down touching the ground, on the framing... a recipe for disaster, an invitation to termites, should not be allowed, or maybe it is not and the Inspector turned his head.... my hubby and I built our house, in Canada, so are very familiar w/bldg. I would not want a frame-house here that has been built since the War...before the War they still had quality lumber also craftsmen that knew how to build... oh my, there I go again, spouting off...sally

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Where can I get Ceropegia woodii?
Hello folks, This new format will take some getting...
flowerladylorraine
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™