Abnormal protrusion on a hummingbird

backyardmama(North Texas)July 12, 2014

My cousin in Rhode Island says she has a brownish hummer visiting her yard that has something about 2" long and about half the diameter of a little finger protruding from the lower belly area. It is flexible and has been protruding for a couple of weeks. She said it appears to be protruding from inside the cloaca. Does anyone have any idea as to what it might be? She has been unable to get a photo but will keep trying. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

Pet birds can experience a prolapsed cloaca, so I imagine hummingbirds could, too. There are more than a few things that can cause this, including nutritional deficiencies and parasites. How sad. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything that could be done to help a wild bird. But I admit to not being very knowledgeable about this serious condition; someone else may be able to provide more insight. Or even have a different theory as to the hummingbird's problem.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peggalina

I am the RI cousin of backyardmama and am posting the picture of the abnormal protrusion that is still there 4 weeks later on my brown hummingbird visitor. He still visits often, flys well and feeds vigorously. The protrusion seems to be narrowing at his body, otherwise remains unchanged. Any ideas what it could be?

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™