Sport?

marricgardensMay 10, 2012

Sorry I don't have a picture. I was just out looking at my hostas and noticed that one is growing a leaf instead of sending up a nose as usual. The leaf is coming up in the middle of a clump of noses. It is a very nice shade of green but not like the parent, Regal Splendor. Is this a sport? If it is should I separate it from the parent plant to keep the rest from changing color to? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

some non-hosta words there.. but that wont stop me.. lol

it would be INSANE.. to dig up a RS.. to remove something from the middle ...

odds are.. it will not be there next year ... so it isnt worth it ...

if it disturbs you.. grab the leaf with one hand.. with the other.. trace the petiole down near the bottom.. and yank that sucker out of there ...

offhand.. i cant remember what RS came from [nigrescens???] .. but i would presume that you are not the first to find the all green .. so again.. its not something worth digging up a large clump ... to 'capture' the greenie ...

if it were me.. i would leave it.. enjoy the oddity .. point it out to friends.. discuss its weirdness.. and the fact that technically hosta are not stable... and leave it at that ...

and if it came back next year.. then i would think about doing something about it.. and probably again.. do nothing.. lol ..

now.. on the other hand.. if you simply want to massacre a large plant .. simply for the experiment.. GO FOR IT .. been there.. done that.. and it reverted to RS .. lol ...

and while you are at it.. throw a piece of it on the driveway.. and see how long it will live .. lol

ken

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 3:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

It came from Krossa Regal. Phil

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
what do you plant in
This is my newest planted my husband buffed and painted...
almosthooked
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
houzz search
We can no longer search under specific forums? Forgive...
smorz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™