TOMATO - Vegetable Cultivar Descriptions for North America

loufloralcityz9December 21, 2010

Good info on the different Tomato Cultivars. Edited by John W. Scott, Gulf Coast REC, University of Florida, Bradenton.

Tomato Cultivars (A to I) lists 1-26 Combined;

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/tomatoai.html

Tomato Cultivars (J to R) lists 1-26 Combined;

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/tomatojr.html

Tomato Cultivars (S to Z) lists 1-26 Combined;

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/tomatosz.html

Lou

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whgille(FL 9b)

Lou,

That is one long list! lol. Did you decide what to plant already or are you just making the decisions? let us know...

Silvia

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 1:48PM
loufloralcityz9

Sylvia,
For tomatoes I'm starting, Pakmore, Tomato Blue, Better Boy, Bush Goliath, Jetsetter F1, Green Sausage, Northern Nibbler, Golden Jubilee, so far and will add more as I look through my seed stash in the freezer.

For Eggplant I'm starting, Orlando Eggplant, Black Beauty, Snow White, Red Gilo, Thai Yellow, Toga Stripes, so far and will add more.

I haven't decided yet on peppers, I have to look through my seed stash.

This is the very earliest of my seed starting as I'm a few weeks behind you in zone 9A
Lou

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 2:29PM
pnbrown

Lou, I'm hoping to be down there at my place in z9a by early march to plant up a good garden, and stay about two months so I can eat some of the produce. Thinking about something a bit crazy like starting a few toms here around feb1 and bring the plants with me in the car.

I've got cherokee purple and orange brandywine, and I'm eyeing chocolate striped and purple cherry in the catalog......

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 5:28PM
loufloralcityz9

pnbrown,

That sounds like a doable idea, you might want to also start some determinates (bush tomato) as they are more compact and would travel better and you could even start those a few weeks earlier for an earlier crop when you get here.

Just make sure the pots are wedged in tightly for the trip because they will slide with hard braking and/or curves at highway exits.

Lou

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 6:30PM
whgille(FL 9b)

Pat

The big problem will be if they don't let you take the plants in, a lot of states don't. I had to leave a truck full of container plants behind in Arizona, Mass laws did not allowed to get plants in. All the plants I gave away to the dog groomer, she did not believe her luck! came with a big truck and took it all away. At least somebody was happy.:)

Lou, after Christmas I will be making final decisions on what to grow, so many choices, so little time. lol

Silvia

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 6:41PM
loufloralcityz9

pnbrown,

OOPS, I forgot all about the State of Florida not letting you bring live plants into the state. You might get stopped at the border and your plants confiscated at the checkpoint. A car might be able to drive right on by the checkpoint if they are covered with a blanket or inside some cardboard boxes.

Lou

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 8:43PM
saldut

I didn't know there was a 'checkpoint', I've never been stopped and 'checked'... in fact, I brought a Christmas Cactus back from Quebec several years ago, from my sister-in-law, and Customs didn't say anything it was right in the front seat in a box... nobody even asked.... sally

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 5:20PM
pnbrown

There is no checkpoint unless one is driving a truck over a certain size. If one has live plants I suppose one is supposed to be aware of whether they are allowed or not.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™