Do you trim cuphea?

queenbeebalm(7)July 8, 2007

Finally figured out what my batface cuphea wanted to make it nice and bushy and full of blooms (2-3 hrs direct morning sun and lotsa water). Was wondering if anyone knew how I could keep it looking good? Should I trim the ends (the flowers?)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchids41

I do...trim my cuphea, that is. I have a couple of the bat-faced variety as well as the 'Tango' and 'Rhumba' cultivars that have started to look a little bedraggled, so I gave them a haircut. I was told, though, not to prune back into the old wood. They're all putting out a flush of new growth now.

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 9:59PM
queenbeebalm(7)

Hi judyfl,
Good to know that I can start snipping a bit. Maybe that will keep it bloomin' for a few more months. Saw Tango and Rhumba photos and they are gorgeous. Blooms look just like ballroom dance costumes! Looks like I have the Georgia Scarlett.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 11:53AM
hummersteve

Might not hurt to root a few of those scraggly stems , cupheas are the easiest to root , of course Im referring to the shrub like david verity which I have, didnt care much for the batfaced , hummers dont seem to use them , at least not mine.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 2:48PM
queenbeebalm(7)

Yeah,they seem only moderately interested in it here. At least a dozen other flowers in the back yard they're more likely to frequent. It's like they're thinking "why have hamburger when there's all this steak out here?!".

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 8:10PM
More Discussions
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™