Pickle Crisp used in canning potatoes

oletimerNovember 3, 2010

Linda Lou mentioned in one of the canning potatoes threads that she sometimes put 3/4 teaspoon of pickle crisp in the jar when she cans potatoes, I just took my potatoes out of the pressure canner and it looks like the pickle crisp has gone to the bottom of the jar, I used boiling water to fill the jars, When I go to use them should I drain, rinse and then heat them? Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

It is probably starch from the potatoes, not the pickle crisp. Potatoes do that.
I still rinse my potatoes after canning, though.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 12:54PM
oletimer

Oh, okay Linda Lou, I didn't think of that, my first thought was the pickle crisp, This was a trial run for doing potatoes, I wanted to can some to see if we would like them, I only did five pints, will open one up in a few weeks and either give them a thumbs up or down, if it's thumbs up I will can more, thanks again for your help, they look good.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 1:23PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I agree it is the potato starch. You will see that sediment whether you use the Pickle Crisp or not. ;) How much you see will vary from potato variety to variety.

And I agree that the PC does help. We use 1/2 tsp. per quart - a bit less than Linda Lou - and yes, we also drain and heat/cook in fresh water or broth depending on the way we plan to use them. If slicing for potato salad we rinse them.

Dave

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
Best way to process frozen unpeeled tomatoes?
I've got about 50 lbs of frozen tomatoes (packed in...
2ajsmama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™