Where are they????

elbowsJuly 13, 2010

I have had ruby throated hummingbirds at my feeders for the past 10 years, but this year I'm lucky if I see one sighting a day. I have not moved my feeders to different places, continue to change the nectar, and have planted a number of hummer favorites, both annuals and perrenials! What's up? Any other SE Wisconsinites notice this as well?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimroy

I was the same way in May usually get 2 to 3 pairs at first but only observed one male until about the 10th of june they arrived and now i have 16 or so which have been feeding heavily, although i have noticed in the past few days less frequent the females are at the feeders just early in the morning and late at night. I am thinking they are nesting which is late here where i am Rainy Lake Ont. Every where i have read people are reporting lower numbers. It will be interesting when migration arrives to see if the numbers pick up.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 5:11PM
hawkeye_wx(z5 east-central IA)

ebows,

I'm in eastern Iowa and I've been asking the same question. Last year was my first attracting hummers and I had a couple regulars visiting my yard/feeder several times a day from late June through July. Two days ago I saw my first hummer in three weeks and even this one hasn't returned. It has been a terrible year for hummers here.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 8:27PM
mlkbskt(5)

I have been getting hummers for 4 years, but I only ever see one at a time. Not sure why. ????? Anyway, I live (in Rock Co) in southern WI too and I agree. I have not seen very many hummers this year at all. I'm lucky if I see one or two a week!

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 9:05PM
debrjean(8)

This is my first year having hummers. We have moved to a new area and I keep three feeders out. I have had at least 20-30 that visit my feeders on a regular basis. In the past week I have noticed the number has dropped considerably and nothing has really changed. I am wondering if this is kind of late for nesting???

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
Splish Splash
Just took this on a very cool, breezy morning at about...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™