Hoya Kerri disease

rumbum(9)October 1, 2013

My sweetheart Hoya is not looking so good. The disease appears to be moving upwards from the roots since the top of the plant looks fine. The leaves will spot then turn yellow and fall off. I've owned this plant for a couple years and have not repotted it. It is in a mix of sphagnum and bark and in a orchid pot (the kind with holes all over). I have also lost one other Hoya with completely different growth medium in a similar manner a few months ago. I don't know if it's a disease or coincidence. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

I would cut it above the bad leaves and restart it. I'm not really sure what the problem is - your climate is enough different from mine, it could be something I'm completely unfamiliar with. Although I will say that I've seen a leaf here and there that gets similar splotching or pitting. But it's usually isolated and I suspect it's more about damage than disease.

I will also add that I would have a hard time growing kerrii in the mix you are using. Kerrii, for me, is a water guzzler and dries out FAST, and even in my climate, I think it would be hard to keep it watered enough. I would go to a heavier mix. I use 2 parts coir and 1 part perlite, but you could also use an all-purpose mix with either added perlite or the orchid bark.

Best of luck with your kerrii.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Hoya" preatorii& "lasiantha.
Hello hoya lovers, I need some help on my recent purchase...
cara
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™