Drought affecting hummingbirds

daddydon5(7)July 17, 2007

I previously posted regarding the low hummingbird population in Montgomery County, Maryland. I have also noticed many others posting on the same subject.

I just returned from a business trip/vacation to Tucson, AZ. I always visit the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, where they have a wonderful hummingbird aviary (which I highly recommend if you are ever in southern Arizona). I ran into a very knowledgeable docent at the museum who happens to be an avid birder. I asked why the late hummingbirds and the low population. She told me the drought in the southeast has prevented the hummingbirds from coming north this year. She told me I should continue putting out the food because I may have visitors I don't even know about and to be patient. This woman seemed very credible and has visited Ecuador to see the hummingbirds there. I hope this helps -- it sure helped me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvabird(6-7)

That's interesting, and it may explain why we have more Hummers than normal this year. I'm in central VA.

I wonder if the pack I'm seeing in my yard got this far during an earlier, wetter spell, but can't move farther north because it has been so hot and dry.

My flowers are terrible this year because of the weather and the Hummers are keeping my feeders drained - we have to check them daily and refill them as needed.

DonnaVA

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™