Clementines

cannondNovember 19, 2012

Does anyone know the ph of clementines? I'd like to can some.

Deborah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Not exactly but they are acidic so BWB canning is all the is needed if that is what you are asking. Canned just like any other citric acid fruit.

However, you may want to read the article linked below about the bitterness they develop during shelf storage. It is apparently even more bitter than canning oranges per NCHFP (http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/grapefruit_orange.html).

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Clementines

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 4:45PM
cannond

It's true; they do become bitter, rather like English marmalade, which is why we like them.

Last year I canned some in a syrup of orange and lemon juice plus sugar. I wasn't worried since the introduction of both citrus juices raised the ph. This year, however, I wanted to try a new recipe that called for canning them in caramel syrup (caramelized sugar plus water). No additional acid. I couldn't find anything with the ph, so I was concerned, especially since I read that mandarin oranges are high ph.

IâÂÂm not certain what the difference is between mandarin and clementines, but I thought IâÂÂd better find out.

Deborah

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:12PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I found an academic journal which evaluated the nutritional qualities of 7 varieties of mandarin and clementine. The acidity ranged from a high of 3.68 to a low of 3.91. Nothing to worry about.

Carol

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 8:16PM
cannond

Bless you, Carol. I bought two cases on sale for $5.27 each. Having put the cart before the horse, I was fretting.

Deborah

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™