I finally saw a hummer!

rudysmallfry(z6)July 25, 2007

I've lived in CT for decades and never seen a hummingbird. I was at a friends house over the weekend. They have a huge clump of what looks like Purple coneflower in there garden. It was a hummingbird magnet. Three different birds visited. The largest was about 3", while the smallest one almost looked like a bumble bee. All these years I've been hanging red feeders all over the yard. Needless to say, I stopped by the local nursery and bought some Purple Coneflower on the way home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjinga

Cool, I'm going to have to investigate this plant and see if it will fit into my garden space...how large was this plant? I am just now starting to see them at my (plastic and one other type feeders) it's so great to watch them. I'm sure that they will come to you too....I dont know if it was complete coincidence or not, but I had the same feeders out for a few weeks with the store bought RED STUFF in them...nothing!!! then I changed it out to the home made 4:1 sugar water combo...and THERE THEY WERE!!!

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 8:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rudysmallfry(z6)

I believe purple coneflower is also called Echinachia. I just thought it was ironic that I spend years planting and displaying red things while it was ultimately purple that they went nuts for.

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™