Mixing canning times?

HungryGuyNovember 25, 2012

Would it be ok to mix canning times, by going with the longest time for the lot? Given the psi was the same, if one recipe called for 45 minutes at 10 psi, and another called for 1 1/2 hours at 10 psi, could I can some jars of each by going 1 1/2 hours? Would the longer time hurt a food requiring a shorter time, or is that time just a minimum?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

No safety issues by using the longest processing times - which is what you'd have to do - but there can be some quality effects depending on the food involved and how much difference in the times used. For that reason - quality - it is best to avoid mixing them or to mix only the foods where the processing times are almost the same.

For example, carrots call for 25 mins. for pints but if you mixed jars of carrots with pint jars of meat and did the 90 mins. required for meats the carrots would be pure mush. But if you mixed jars of carrots with jars of green beans (20 mins.) that extra 5 mins would not be a problem.

45 mins. vs. 90 mins. is too much difference IMO and you'll pay for it with poor quality of the one food.

Dave

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 2:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HungryGuy

Thank you for the response! I am glad you pointed out the quality aspect. That is truly the reason I am preserving my own food.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™