Hummingbird what kind did i see?

daycorpJuly 12, 2010

My authority on hummingbirds is watching them outside when drinking my coffee. I LOVE when I see one. Tonight, I saw one in our garden that I had mistaken for a bee at first glance. This hummingbird, as best I can describe, was the size of a goldfish at best. It did not have much color, and I thought to be even faster than the greenish one we normally see. It had very little color though. Forgive my ignorance if it's overflowing. But, I wasn't sure if this was a "baby" or what. It was tiny. Anyone know what I may have seen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

Where are you? if you're in the east, you almost certainly saw a hummingbird moth. We've all been duped by this insect!...it really does look a lot like a hummingbird in flight, and nectars on the same flowers.

They come in various sizes and colors...here's one that might fit your bill.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 9:46PM
hummersteve

That is my guess also. I once had a great photo of one and I dumbly deleted it from my albums. It was the first time I had seen one , I was outside before daylight drinking my coffee and saw this thing in the flowers that knew could not be a hummer that I could barely make out , got a nightshot of it and later found that it was a hummingbird moth.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 11:03AM
daycorp

I am in Northeast Ohio. It looks very much like the one I saw. I had my 1yr old in my arms, ran to get my video camera, I must not have had it recording properly trying to balance son, and camera... i was so upset I lost the video I thought I had. It was about 3-5 mins of REALLY good video too as I saw in through the camera. Is it possible it was the hummingbird moth in Ohio? It was extremely fast

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 12:26PM
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

Seems likely in NE Ohio. They still dupe me!

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 4:44PM
denali2007

Funny, I just came across this post.My granddaughter is her(northern VA) from Tx and is enjoying my garden. Her mom said they saw what they thought was a hummingbird but looked like a moth since it had antenae but it's wings were beating like a hummingbird. My granddaughter called it a hummingbird moth and suggested we google it. Sure enough, that's what they saw. None of us had ever heard of it.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™