Too much lemon juice

breasley(7)November 2, 2008

How can I counter too much lemon juice in a recipe. I'm making spaghetti sauce and was considering canning it so I added lemon juice for acid but added too much. I have decided not to can it but it has a very strong lemon taste... so is there anything that counters the lemon flavor?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Instead of lemon juice (ONLY bottled of course!) you could have used some granulated citric acid. These 'acidifers' would usually be meaured and added in each jar, prior to filling with the boiling tomatoes. Now that its in there already, you can try adding some dried garlic, oregano, and onion to 'push' that lemon taste away a little. If its only sour add a bit of sugar. Adding a little balsamic vinear, or red wine will help some, as will a small can of tomato paste. All of these together or seperatly are great additives for a spaghetti sauce.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 3:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Define too much. ;) A small amount can be countered by sugar or other seasonings as Ken suggested. And adding commercial canned tomato sauce/paste/spaghetti sauce will fix it if it was moderately overdosed.

But if you tripped and fell into the pan while carrying the open bottle of lemon juice and really let it have it ;), you can add all of the above as well as double the original recipe leaving out the added juice the second time. It just all depends on if the cost of the salvage job is worth it to you or not.

Good luck.

Dave

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
Pressure canning jam?
Hi all -- Ok, I have to admit that I just hate BWB...
fearlessem
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
If I ever add hot peppers to my canning again I hopesomeone slaps my
hands........if I ever can again ....I will never add...
jeanwedding
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™