Jewelbox feeder

hummersteveJuly 19, 2010

Ken

I particularly thought you might find this interesting and even though Ive been gone most of the day I spotted this out of the corner of my eye. It was almost dark and I sitting in my pc chair and not wanting to scare this adult male away before I could capture proof. The impressive thing though is the first nature is also hanging there in the window and he chose to feed from this. I consider this a rare moment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jay733

Wow nice country side, do you get a lot of blue birds there?

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 6:40PM
hummersteve

That is strange I have never seen a bluebird here and I have been here 8yrs.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 9:27PM
jay733

Ok just wondering because I heard blue birds like open fields.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 10:20PM
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

Are you getting any new action at the Jewel Box Steve?
Is it still up?
Ken

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 4:14PM
hummersteve

Ken

Yes and No . Yes it is still up and no not getting a lot of action. But I did notice a young male sitting on it today [25th] so it is getting used a little.

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 12:14PM
hummersteve

I sometimes wonder just how scatterbrained I can be. I have two window feeders one being the jewelbox as some of you know. I have a stream of hundreds of ants heading to the jewelbox but not the first nature , why I dont know. But the thing that bugs me is I have an ant moat that came with the jewelbox 2yrs ago which I had completely forgotten about till today. I havent needed it till recent, ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 7:05PM
nanaboo(z8BRLA)

I finally gave up on my Jewelbox feeder. I have had it on a window for several months, keep the nectar fresh, and have not seen one hummer try it. So, I decided to put another type window feeder in same place, fresh nectar, and immediately had a hummer visit. I don't understand this? I am sorry I purchased the Jewelbox, but live and learn.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 11:02PM
arleneb

I have two Jewelboxes plus two regular HummZingers nearby, and all four are busy all the time. I had Hummers at the Jewelboxes as soon as I put them up. We have windowfilm on my kitchen windows, so the jewelbox is just a couple feet away from where I stand at the sink. The other one is in our TV room, also with window film -- the grandkids stand just inside the window to watch . . . so fun to see them up close. Sorry your JBox isn't working out for you.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 10:05AM
hummersteve

hostagrams

It just seems they are just too used to the first natures. I also have hummzinger up which is used a lot maybe not quite as much as the first nature. Its just as well since the first nature has 8 ports and during migration I get quite a lot so it does help.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 11:07PM
nanaboo(z8BRLA)

Well,well, well, I am having more hummers visiting now, and some are feeding from the Jewelbox. I guess I was not patient enough. I was so anxious to watch close up!

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™