Native Honeysuckle Questions

lovefornature(5B IL)July 12, 2008

I purchased John Clayton (it is not big enough to bloom yet). I also went out and purchased a wooden trellis....but I have a huge problem. I am very picky about the way things look, I guess I have OCD when it comes to this.

I was going to place the trellis in my 19' long x 8 1/2' deep flower bed. The problem is that this is a raised bed and right behind it is the dog-eared fence enclosing my back yard. The trellis is about 10 inches taller than the fence and I just feel this would look way too tacky. I have placed it up against the fence and very weird looking since the backdrop is shorter.

This will be placed in my front yard. Am I being too picky or does anyone have any other suggestions. The dog-eared fence behind is only about 4 1/2' ft. tall.

I thought about a fan type trellis but I am not sure this is the answer. Also thought about adding shepherds hooks on each side of the trellis, shrubs would just take too long.....hummmm.

Please help and thanks all :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

LFN-- Im afraid Im not much help in this area, I have one coral honeysuckle which is its second year and I have it braced on a 4 ft trellis which is tied to a yard light. I had trimmed this guy back to far early this year but it is now coming out of it and flowering well. I have taken cuttings from it which are doing pretty well but I will have the same problem as you figuring out how to fix the right support for any of those next season. So I too will be waiting for right answers to your question.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 12:13PM
lovefornature(5B IL)

Hi Hummersteve: Thanks for responding, I hope we find some answers. Some of our yards are pretty challenging :)

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 12:57PM
lorna-organic

How far from the fence will the trellis be positioned in the raised bed? If there is a little bit of distance, the visual effect would probably be fine. Have you thought about planting the honeysuckle against the fence, and using the trellis for something else?

I used to have a picket fence which was covered with a thick blanket of honeysuckle (mounded on top of the fence). Passersby were always complimenting me on the way it looked. I did have to do freequent trimming to keep it looking neat, but it was very pretty.

Lorna

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™