Seal on my broth

gardensewerNovember 10, 2010

Just got done canning the first of 2 canner loads of beef broth. Did all the standard things 1 inch headspace etc. After removing the lid of the canner,

with the correct resting period after removing the weight, the jars immediately started sealing. After hearing 14 such pops I went to look since there were only 12 jars in the canner. Several of the jars had the lids popping up then down then up again. Back and forth. They all did finally settle down in the sealed position. I am using the bulk lids from lehman's but the last batch of canning didn't misbehave in this way! Any ideas on what was going on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It happens and as long as they were properly processed and sealed well they are fine.

I find when most jars are first removed from the pressure canner you see them still actively bubbling. That air has to get out. So the pop and resealing is working as it should. The first seal was weak enough to allow the jar to 'burp' yet again. ;)

Why it happens with some and not with all might be due to a bit of difference in how tight the band is screwed on, a smidge difference in the headspace, a bit of broth that got under the lid, perhaps the broth in that particular jar may be a bit thicker or got a bit hotter, takes a bit longer to cool, is sitting in a draft, etc.

Can't say for sure but they are ok either way.

Dave

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 9:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eddie1025

This just happened to me the other day. I've canned for years but I've never seen anything like this. I was startled to open the pressure canner to find the lids bouncing up and down making quite a racket. I wondered if I'd done something wrong so I'm glad I didn't.

I have a related question. I did my best to skim the fat off the top of the broth but after the jars cooled there is a 1/16 to 1/8 inch of fat of top. Is this acceptable?

BTW this is my first post. I've been reading for years and finally decided to stop lurking. I really appreciate all the wonderful advice and knowledge on here.

Dale

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™