I Have Some Catching Up To Do

moonwolf_gwOctober 28, 2012

Hi everyone,

In the midst of all the hullaballoo of Hurricane Sandy aka "Frankenstorm", I have some good news. First, I found a pretty nice sized lacunosa (highly possible it's Ruby Sue) at my local Wal-Mart. Then, today, I found two nice sized peduncles on my shepherdii :). I *think* I see small buds on the shepherdii, but time will tell.

How's everyone doing? I haven't been as active on here lately.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emt23(5)

I was wondering how you were getting along.

The walmarts here ..wisconsin ...hardly have plants much with the exception of the usual holiday/outdoor garden offerings. Lowes has more but hoyas are either gone or not offered either. Lucky find for you!

Shepardii is another I have had for years that offers up a vine here and there but no substantial growth. Congrats!

I have no blooms but have been watching a boutii for months, sooooo slow. I hope it does not dry up with the heat on.

Stay safe in the hurricane! Good thoughts are sent your way.

~ Mary

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 10:13AM
Klea(4b)

Congratulations on the lacunosa, great find! And a sheperdii with two peduncles is exciting news! Hope the tiny buds swell up in no time and reward you with flowers. Keep us posted on the progress. Nice to see you posting again.

Stay safe in the hurricane!

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 1:29PM
greedygh0st

Nice to hear from you Brad. I don't have shepherdii but my minibelle bloomed for the first time recently. And I was excited. :P Now, I keep staring at my shepherdell. Not so much waiting for blooms, but because I want to see more of those fabulous hard pebble leaves!

I also just found a little peduncle on one of my FAVORITE Hoyas yesterday. EPC-145, which has the coolest dagger leaves ever. Sometimes you get an EPC Hoya and you don't know how in love you're going to be in person, but this one...

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 10:32AM
moonwolf_gw

Thank you, Mary, Klea, and GG :). The hurricane is moving her way out. We are in the eye right now so it's pretty calm. No power losses or flooding here at our place. There is a chance of some mixed showers so maybe some flurries :D.

Mary, our local Wal-Mart will seldom have Hoyas for sale. Usually the variegated carnosas. I saw the lacunosa and just had to have it. They had a nice looking Compacta/Hindu Rope plant there too, but since it's prone to mealies, I skipped on it. Lowe's and Home Depot I love going to as well for finding new plants, but they're not downtown so I don't go to them as often. My shepherdii took a little while to bloom. It did nothing for a while, then this summer, new vines just sprouted like crazy! The vines are bare, but those two peduncles are what it's all about :).

GG, shepherdii is a great plant to have! I do not have shepherdell, but I used to have cuttings of Minibelle a few years ago. When they arrived, there were still some blooms hanging off the one peduncle :). Darn, I wish I had more room for plants, but don't we all? ;) Congrats on the peduncle!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 11:39AM
greedygh0st

Yeah I'll have to get it someday. :)

I think maybe someday I'll just have to forgo a house and just live in a giant greenhouse equipped with a kitchenette and a bed in the center.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 12:43PM
moonwolf_gw

GG, what an awesome idea. lol It reminds me of if I had a greenhouse/nursery (glass). I'd even decorate it for Christmas. A few of my friends liked that idea, especially about holding our high school reunions there someday. :)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 3:04PM
moonwolf_gw

GG, what an awesome idea. lol It reminds me of if I had a greenhouse/nursery (glass). I'd even decorate it for Christmas. A few of my friends liked that idea, especially about holding our high school reunions there someday. :)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 3:05PM
emt23(5)

GG so funny! My Aunt always says the best home is made of tile and glass with a big drain in the middle to hose it all down! ~ Mary

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 4:16PM
greedygh0st

@ Mary

Hahaha. Your aunt and I would really get along. I've long envisioned rooms of my house designed to be hosed down, particularly the bathroom, which I despise cleaning... T_T

@ Brad

I'm sure greenhouses would look gorgeous dressed up like that. Your idea reminds me of the greenhouse at the Walker sculpture garden, in Minneapolis, which look like this by night.

Pretty Christmassy with the red fish lights, right?

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 4:29PM
moonwolf_gw

@GG, wow! That's gorgeous! Pretty close to my vision :).

"In Xanadu, did Kubla Khan, a stately pleasure-dome decree..". I'm thinking Xanadu would be a good name for my nursery. I also like "Eagle's Nest", "Wolf's Den", and "Crystalis" (an old Nintendo RPG for you video game fans). Xanadu is by far my top choice for a name. But I'm getting ahead of myself. My vision for the Christmas decor includes garlands and wreaths hanging on the outside along with lights and snow falling down :). Simple, yet elegant. What one picture can do to your creative gears lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 6:13PM
greedygh0st

If I were naming a greenhouse, I would name it after a favorite video game zone: .

So, are you putting a snow machine in your greenhouse, or just longing for snowy weather?

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:50AM
moonwolf_gw

Just longing for snowy weather :). I'd have too many precious plants for a snow machine inside of my greenhouse. It's strange, because I would also have some elements of a botanical garden too. Fountains, statues, benches, arbors covered with different vines, both inside and outside the greenhouse. One element I visualize is a memorial butterfly garden in memory of Nikki.

To keep on topic, I would have Hoyas clamoring all over the place! I'd train them to vine up along the rafters of the greenhouse on fishing wire.

I love the name you picked for your greenhouse, GG :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
Will a hoya cutting grow without the "tip"
Hi just recently acquired some hoya cuttings.. a lacunosa...
bkempress
In search of Shooting Star
Hi Everyone - I am just getting into Hoyas and I would...
Houndhome
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Is this a hoya?
Don't know if it's a weed or a type of hoya. It's either...
Tanjil Wright
Signs of life on a peduncle!
I need a bloom it's been a very long time. I'm having...
Liberated
Sponsored Products
Bronze Floor Lamp: Crystal Leaf 69-3/4 in. Torchiere Floor Lamp with Side Light
Home Depot
Coco Coral Kidney Pillow
$49.00 | Bellacor
Eiffel Arm Chair in Fuchsia
$154.99 | Dot & Bo
Standard Paisley Sham - CAMEL (STANDARD)
$99.90 | Horchow
Maria Theresa Gold Twenty-Four Light 36-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Golden Te
Bellacor
Trademark Global 14 in. Bud Light Lime Neon Wall Clock AB1400-BLLIME
$69.99 | Home Depot
Modus Element 6 Drawer Dresser in Chocolate Brown
Beyond Stores
Kidwise Magic Circle Rectangle 9 x 14 ft. Trampoline with Enclosure - MCT9X14RC
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™