i think im going to lose them

stevenwayne(6 sw)October 31, 2009

about two months ago a very nice lady sent me a ton of hoyas. two of them where a sno caps and a ruby sue lanacusa. well they where doing ok til about a week ago then they started to look dehidrated and starting to yellow. they are both kept slightley moist so please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdawn(7)

I had the same problem with a cutting. I would also like to know what happened and how to prevent it in the future.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 8:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

Funny, I just got done posting in another subject about how touchy lacunosa can be! I find cuttings hard to start - and fall is the hardest time to start hard-to-start cuttings! But I had to take some cutting off my lacunosa a couple weeks ago - I could tell a large stem with lots and lots of branches wasn't taking up water like it should. The leaves just weren't as firm and nice as the rest of the plant. So I removed it, thinking there wasn't much chance of rooting a lacunosa cutting this time of year, but I wasn't going down without a fight! Chopped it into smaller pieces and put it in soil in my rooting aquarium. So far, all pieces have firmed up and look like they're going to root for me. So I guess the key is probably the aquarium that raises the humidity around those leaves as it's trying to root. I imagine there's less stress to the plant with all that humidity...

If you don't have an aquarium setup, I'd take the potfull of cuttings and set them in a large zip-lock bag, spray some water in there and seal it up. Open it every day or two to let out the old air and let fresh in, and spray more water in there if it doesn't look humid. Of course, set it in a warm spot with NO direct sun. Maybe you can still salvage some or all of the cuttings.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Where to get Hoya Cuttings or starts (from Canada)
Hello, I have a few Hoya's, but I would like to add...
rcharles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™