frustrated: how to get raccoons to stop pooping

teeka0801December 13, 2007

in my back yard???!!!

We have a fenced in back yard(wasn't like this a few months ago..fenced it in after we paid $300 to have someone get rid of raccoons that were pooping back there...we have no food source at all for them back there).

So we are back to square one it seems. Two days ago I woke up , happy to go out to my CLEAN back yard just to find a pile of raccoon excrement right next one of my stepping stones...I really felt my hairs on the back of my neck rise...so upset i have to deal with this again.

They are wanting to get in there for some reason and I just cannot figure out why. Any advice or ideas? Am I fighting a losing battle?

They guy who came to "rescue" these critters told me that people leave cat food out at night for outdoor cats and this is why they come into our yards( I know at least two houses in our block that do this). There is NO catfood in our home/garage/backyard.

Please help! I don't even want to go out there and I really enjoy my mornings when I am able to garden. It is just really getting me down. Will they ever leave???!!!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countrynest(z9)

Teeka,
garbage can? How about a water source? Could it be that they are coming for a drink? How about motion detector lights and sprinkler.
Felix

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 2:43PM
barbcoleus(z10 Cape Coral,Fl)

I don't know much about raccoons but I'd go to a pet store and find out if they have a product that makes a spot unattractive to animals and I would spread that around. Something that area that they used must seem like a good place to go. Probably something they smell-previous animal waste?

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 2:56PM
katkin_gw

Maybe try going to a hunting supplier and get coyote urine or other preditor urine and hang strips of cloth soaked in it.
We resorted to buying a trap and catching the critters. In our city, they come and relocate them if we have them trapped. Call and find out if you have this sevice too. They tore my entire garden apart, digging up plants and eating the roots and looking for grubs.

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 7:57AM
austin1227(FL9)

Peeing on the bottom of your fence would do the trick. Most animals do not like Ammonia (sp?) either.

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 8:28AM
tony_k_orlando(Z9 Fl)

Just saw this on the discovery channel, It would have to be male pee. soooo maybe host a beer party or hand out diuretics ??

Perhaps if you put a sign out in your yard "no pooping" or something similar may help. ;->

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 9:28AM
islandpete

If he is stopping by for a poo maybe he or she is trying to tell you something. Be kind and leave your coons a little snak like soapy water and nice plump roots covered in exlaxs. He might get the idea to poo some where else. Unless your husband can balance on the top of the fence to pee

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 11:07AM
countrynest(z9)

Tony would try any trick to get free beer. Teeka he has already tried the same trick in another forum. Do not fall for it. Teeka the solution seems worse than the problem. Just give the coons food to constipate them then they wouldn't poop.

Felix

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 11:10AM
teeka0801

gotta figure out a way to get DH to do this for me,lol!

Raccoon guy left me with some coyote urine and I put it out last night(you reminded me he had left me this and I had it in the garage and opened it and it stinks big time) and no poop last night,though the beast out there was playing w/ the rag I left where he/she pooped because it was all over the place. The other rags were left alone.

If this doesn't work, I'll buy DH a six-pack!

thanks again.

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 2:42PM
treefrog_fl(z10 FL)

Works for me.
I mark my boundaries as needed.
But my yard is fairly secluded!

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 10:53PM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

I'd hate to be the guy that has to hold the collection cup under the coyotes to collect their urine. That's got to be a tough job. Especially wild coyote urine.

I get gopher tortoise poops in my yard. I consider it a bonus and sign of good will towards men.

Gary

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 7:34AM
tropicalfreak(z10b Ft Lauderdale)

Feed them some cheddar cheese. LOL

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 9:40PM
katkin_gw

Gary, you really made me laugh, but you're right, there are some awful jobs out there. lol Collecting snake venom is right up there too.

The gopher poo is good for the plants since it's mostly grasses of some sort.

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
How often to water Citrus trees...
I have a 4 year old dwarf Satsuma...appx. 5ft tall....
puglvr1
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Strawberries rotting!
Hello Florida garden friends! I am having some success...
organic_elizabeth_b
Sponsored Products
Woodson Chair - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Baxter Sargento Silver 82-Inch Curtain Rod Cornice
$237.95 | Bellacor
Cosmopolitan Modern White Leather Counter Stools (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Designers Fountain 84683 Cortona 3 Light Chandelier in Chrome Finish - 84683-CH
$188.00 | Hayneedle
Irwin Flatweave Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - SPA
$889.00 | Horchow
Metropolitan Bath Collection Bronze 7 3/4" High Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Solid Bronze Frog Sculpture
Signature Hardware
Nature Power Pest Control White Illuminating Solar Powered Pest Repeller 21115
$19.99 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: