My Poinsetta's

romy6(9)December 5, 2011

My Poinsetta's are getting in the Holiday spirit!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

romy, those are gorgeous! I was under the impression that they needed to be in full sun but I think that was wrong. Yours look great! Have they made it through a full winter? Last time I put some in the ground in Jacksonville, frost/freeze got them. I have two in pots (from last year!) and I want to try some in the ground again.

Carol

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 7:43PM
corar4gw(JAX9A)

Carol, poinsettia and Christmas cactus need extended darkness hours and cooler weather to promote blooming. I've tucked last year's potted poinsettia into a corner of the yard that gets almost no light at night and the silly thing, tho abused, is still trying to 'get in the holiday spirit'! I really should put it in ground, I guess, even at this late date. Protecting it from a freeze will be a challenge.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 6:42AM
romy6(9)

Carol. The two on the right are about to have there 3rd Christmas. The one on the left is about to have it's second Christmas. I think the 170 year old oak tree that they grow under keeps them happy. Last year I thought the cold had killed them. I literally cut them back to almost nothing and by June they were bushier than ever. I cover them on super cold nights as well. Corar I planted all of mine in January and was lucky enough to get them to root in. I live in the Daytona Beach area.

Thanks
Jamie

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 12:05PM
ninecrow(England)

Those are Lovely, Did They Put on a Show for You the Christmas Just gone?
and
Thank You for Sharing

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™