Do Hummingbirds like bougainvillea?

eric580July 29, 2012

Hi:) I have read on some websites that bougainvillea doen't produce nectar and makes hummingbirds waste energy. I also read that it is a nectar producing vine that hummingbirds love. Whis is true? Please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dreamgarden(z6)

I read the same thing. It would not deter me from having bougainvillea. More food for thought..

"Placing hummingbird-friendly plants in the garden is important as a source of food, but the birds do not live on flowers alone.

"Hummingbirds like nectar and insects," said Jill Himonas, owner of the Wild Bird Center in Monterey, California. "They dine at the flowers and get the little insects inside the flowers as they go."

Here's a short list of some hummingbird-friendly plants and the approximate seasons in which they bloom. A longer list can be found at www.laspilitas.com/garden/hummingbird.html.:

July-September: Penstemon, monkeyflower, salvia, cosmos, foxglove, hibiscus, butterfly bush, bougainvillea"

A link that might be useful:

voices.yahoo.com/how-attract-hummingbirds-garden-year-round-4205983.html

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 10:27AM
LCnpsl

Hi,I know that they are attracted to them, for a few early mornings this last fall, I saw one at my bright pink bougainvillea on the edge of the yard, but it was so far away, I wasn't sure that it actually WAS a hummingbird-until I walked out my front door and almost smack dab into a hummingbird busy at work on my purple and white petunias in a hanging basket. Bougainvillea also attracts butterflies, and is a very nice habitat for small nesting birds. I found an old nest that fit in the palm of my hand while pruning it back after purchasing the property. If I were a small bird, I'd rest and nest there, the thorns are wicked, but easily navigated if you're little. I saw a red tailed hawk land in mine, and frantically fly away. Good little bird sanctuary. :)

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 8:50PM
LCnpsl

As an aside, four o'clocks are hummingbird food, but I never see them listed. I grew up having hummingbirds buzzing around our four o'clocks in central Florida. A lot of people don't like them because they are prolific seeders and not fussy about where they live, but as a beginning gardener, I like that! And they smell nice, too. :)

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™