hummers at tomatoes?

louisianagal(z7bMS)August 11, 2008

My husband swears he saw a hummer sucking juice from a tomato on the vine, a tomato in which a hole had already been made by probably a mockingbird. There was a gladiolus right next to it, so I wondered if hummer was visiting that, but hubby swears he saw it drinking from the tomato.

Has anyone seen or heard of this behavior? I have several feeders in my yard, and many hummers visit. I will surely be observing to see if I catch this behavior.

laurie in Mississippi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnalovesblue

Hi Laurie...Where in MS do you live? I'm in Meridian!

The hummer was probably attracted to the red. I always assumed that hummers were attracted only to flowers that yielded sweet nectar, similar to what we put in feeders, but I'm sure no expert! Since I don't have but one or two hummer friendly plants, I have many feeders and tons of hummers now. They ignore the flowers and go straight to the feeders!

If you see the little bugger at the tomato, let us know!

Donna

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 10:07AM
ctnchpr

The hummer could be eating fruit flies that would be hangin' around the injured tomato.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 12:29PM
louisianagal(z7bMS)

Hi Donna, I'm in the Tupelo area.
Good explanations from the both of you. I'll keep watching.
Laurie

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 9:15PM
anita55(zone 6 NY)

The very first time I saw a hummingbird was at a cherry tomato plant growing in my neighbor's yard. I was enthralled at the sight of his humming about but he didn't land on the plant while I was there. I always figured he was attracted to the red color of the tomatoes.

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 7:33AM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Hummers eat insects, more than they eat nectar. I'd bet a hummer at the tomato was picking off gnats or bugs.

Its something to consider when selecting plants to attract birds, is that hummers eat lots of insects. Flowers that attract gnats and small flies get picked at by the hummers too.

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 10:14AM
florida_guy_26(8b)

I know this may not be correct, but just my 2 cents... sometimes, these big sphynx moths hang around at the tomatoes and lay eggs on them. Those are where tomato hornworms come from. Sphynx moths can look alot like hummingbirds with the rapid wingbeat, actually make a humming noise at plants, and are also about the same size but with more of a checker pattern in black or dark grey and white/ brown. I know I have seen both at my epidendrum orchid drinking nectar and the hummer pollinated some flowers.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™