October bloom

Jan SwordOctober 1, 2009

Cinnamomifolia, been blooming for months.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Jan...its Gorgeous!!

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 4:35PM
cpawl(8)

Jan
I love the color combo, yellow and purple.

Cindy

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 4:44PM
mdahms1979

Such an identifiable Hoya, nothing quite like it's amazing colour combo. Jan how large are those blooms?

Mike

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 12:39AM
andrew78(6)

Dear jan
I love this hoya, it is on my wish list. Is this a large vine? What kind of growing conditions doe it like?

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 1:25AM
Jan Sword

Thanks everyone.

Mike, individual flowers are about 5/8 inch.

Andrew, this plant is huge. long nodes between the leaves.
The plant is in a clay pot outside under screened lanai in eastern sun, I water when the top is dried, fertilize during growing season with the bloom booster(high middle number) and give soft flow showers with a hose every now & then. I'll take a photo of the whole plant later.
Only thing this plant does not flower all at once but that's okay, this way I get to enjoy flowers for months.
Jan

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 7:14AM
haxuan(Vietnam)

I have a tiny nummularioides umbel for October. This is the first one on this plant since I purchased it last year. From My hoyas

I hope I will have more blooms later since this hoya is well-known for multiple blooms, isn't it?

Xuan

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 10:56AM
maidinmontana

Hi Xuan~
You have some very nice hoyas. . . how come they are all noid? Do you buy them as noid's? Are you waiting for flowers to give them proper id's?

Sorry about being nosey, but just curious. . .

Maid~

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 11:01AM
Jan Sword

Here is H cinnamomifolia plant. My nummularioides budding up everywhere, H obscura, H lacunosa var, pub red buttons are in bloom currently.

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 11:19AM
maidinmontana

Very pretty Jan, that's a monster plant. . . thanks for sharing.
Maid~

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 11:22AM
andrew78(6)

Thank you Jan, it is beutifull. I will consider buying that one from CN(if she has it, I lOVE her plants)in the spring.

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 7:31PM
haxuan(Vietnam)

Maid... almost all my hoyas were harvested from the jungle by people who were looking for something else, like orchids, so they were NOIDs.

Usually, I'd have to wait until they bloom, then I compare them with others named varieties online, or asked GW members here, to obtain the IDs. But sometimes, that is still inaccurate because hoyas can be different from a very fine detail :-o(. I do have one or two hoyas that people cannot agree on their names!!!

Xuan

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 9:57PM
treelover3

Xuan,
Wow, how cool. It would be great if you could start a thread and attach photos of some of your NOID plants. I would bet you are probably the only person on this forum that has plants directly from habitat. All of the rest of us don't ever get to see hoyas like that.

You don't necessarily need to post photos of the flowers. It would be interesting to just see photos of the foliage first and then if they flower, you can add those photos later.
Thanks in advance, (:o)
Mike

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 9:04AM
rizara

Hi there...
I check this website all the time to get ideas on how to grow hoyas and their needs. I got the sickness too...;) and my colection has been growing lately.. :) I was given a little baby of the H cinnamomifolia plant with the promise that its blooms will smell like cinnamon... Can anyone confirm that? I'm glad to say that it's healthy and doing just great...

Also i got a couple of hoyas with no name i will love to give them their identity back...

Maybe someone can let me know what their names are...? Here are some photos... I hope it helps.

Thanks,
Riz

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 5:18PM
maidinmontana

Hi Riz, and welcome~

I will say the first no ID hoya is H. wayetii. I will leaves the rest to the real experts.

PS. You might get more feedback if you start a different thread. The experts here really like iding hoyas, they are more likely to see it if it's in a thread all it's own. :)

Maid~

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 6:50PM
Jan Sword

Hi Riz, welcome!
Jan
I am not an expert but looks like
1. H Dischidia p...
2. H DS-70
3. H Nummulariaid
4. ?? flower might help
5. H pachyclada red/white
6. H cummingiana
7. H carnosa motoskei
8. H pubicalyx "Pink Silver"

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 8:21PM
Jan Sword

Ok, I remembered the name on #1. D parasitica if it has tiny red flowers.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 8:39PM
Jan Sword

H numm, buds on every node.

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 10:30AM
geosdee(Zone 8 FL Panhandle)

Jan, my nummulariodes is blooming and it literaly has blooms at every node, with some nodes having multiple peduncles and buds. Will take a picture when I get home. I also have a pretty strong scent but can't place it. It is the only one blooming in my family room and it fills the room with it's scent.

Dee

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 11:08AM
mdahms1979

Hi Riz welcome to the forum. Your Hoya cinnamomifolia will not have cinnamon scented blooms. The secret is in the name and if you break down the species name into it's parts you get cinnamom-i-foila, this Hoya was named because it's leaves resemble those of the cinnamon tree's and not for the scent of it's flowers.

Mike

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 11:13AM
Okie_Deb(6 OK. zip 737)

Finally when I checked my nummulariodes it's making spurs/peduncles! I best get it inside so they won't abort. They are still small so hopefully the transition won't effect them.,,,,Debbie

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 11:37AM

This is nummulanioides so full of blooms and more coming.

and another picture

I just can't seem to get a good picture with all the blooms showing and the new buds sprouting.

Dee

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 6:47PM
maidinmontana

WOW. . . what a pretty sight. . good growing Dee !!!

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 6:55PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Congrats Jan, Dee and Debbie!

Dee, that is a LOT of blooms. Great job! What does this one smell like again?

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 7:14PM
andrew78(6)

Hello Jan,
I tried emailing you? Did you get it? is there some kind of problem? Thanks Jan.
Andrew

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 7:42PM
Okie_Deb(6 OK. zip 737)

Dee you plant is a bloomin fool! ;-P
Great growing!,,,,Debbie

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 8:58PM
cpawl(8)

Hi Dee, your hoya must smell wonderful.I have a large one and its just starting to get peduncles so maybe in Nov I will see flowers.

Cindy

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 9:33PM
Jan Sword

Dee, your numm looks wonderful!!!
Andrew, I did not get your email. I was out of town, just got back.

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 9:51PM

Thanks everyone, this thing is in a little 4 inch pot and blooms at every node, hard to capture. It has a faint smell during the day, but at night it tends to get overpowering, can't place the smell but it is a nice one.

This one has been blooming about 2 weeks now. Hmm, maybe if I took it down and took a shot looking down on it. I will have to experiment.

Dee

Bookmark   October 10, 2009 at 10:42AM
Jan Sword

Yay!!! I just noticed huskeliana yellow is budding up. Obscura has been blooming for a long time.

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 7:40PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

This just opened up yesterday and thought I would share it with you guys.
RHP

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 9:12AM
Jan Sword

Nancy, your RHP flowers looks like pink silver but I know it's RHP because the leaves. Very pretty!!!!

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 10:18AM
golden_ca_2000(BC Canada)

Gorgeous Pug! Thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 10:37AM
moonwolf_gw

I think that pubicalyx blooms are some of the best hoya blooms to ever exist. Thanks for sharing, Pug!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 12:53PM
cpawl(8)

Very nice pug

Cindy

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 2:27PM
mfyss

H. nummularioides is blooming just as described by jan1__2007. I thought the small plant might be a gesneriad, but it finally put out new growth with peduncles at the nodes .

While it is a small sample, it seems remarkable that it is blooming simultaneously in Vietnam, Florida, Oklahoma and Illinois (indoors). Haxuan's report of a single inflorescence is interesting (unless she has no other nodes). Yale

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 3:08PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks everyone!!

Jan, thats exactly what I've mentioned on another post, my RHP, PS and Red Buttons blooms all look very similar. Not sure why? I bought the the RHP and PS at Gardino's so I know the ID's are correct...plus like you said the leaves prove it. The REd buttons I received from(trade) a nice member here and I know the ID is correct also. Can't be my weather, you and I have the same temperatures?

Yale, congrats on your H. Numm. blooming!

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 6:30PM

mfyss - you can add Canada to that list too :0)

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 11:12PM
Jan Sword

Here is a blurry photo of huskeliana, smells buttery.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 11:16AM
dmichael619(8a)

this is an awesome little hoya. It's a rather compact grower and blooms only in the fall. it's also a very prolific bloomer opening almost all of it's flowers at one time. H. nummularioides

This hoyas leaves remind me a lot of rosemary!!! It's a very fast grower for me and is one of my favorites for foliage. It's hoya linearis and it's a first time bloomer for me.

This is H. sp. Kumning Kina and it's another favorite for it's long strappy leaves. This is it's first time blooming for me!! The flowers on this hoya somewhat resemble those of hoya erythrina as far as size and shape goes.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 6:45PM
Jan Sword

David, great photos!! my nummularioides are blooming too. I love everything about nummularioides.
I love lienaris, mine was huge but end up dieing for some reason.
I got a Kumning Kina cutting in trade while ago. I think Kumning Kina plant looks really nice. Can't wait.
David, one of these days I am going to have to drive up there with a clipper & a huge bag.

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 6:53AM
Jan Sword

Actually I forgot my kuming kina died. :-(

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 9:09AM
Jan Sword

Hoya obscura.

Leaves & buds with more sun exp.

Numm, I had to clip it to show all the flowers.

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 7:44PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Very nice Jan, I'm waiting for my rooted cuttings(Numm) to get some peduncles...so far nothing yet **sigh**

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 8:30PM
maidinmontana

Jan, nice photos. After seeing all these phots of Nummlariods I just couldn't hold back. . . I ordered it from Gardino's today. Along with H. pachyclada and H. Diversifolia.

Diversifolia wasn't on my list, but it was only $5.00. And hey, when you're dealing with a hoya addict alls it takes is a bargin, next thing ya know it's in your shopping cart.

Hope I have as much success as you all did.

Maid~

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 9:51PM
Jan Sword

Thanks Pug & Maid.
Maid, yes any excuse to get more hoyas.
Some how the cheaper hoyas just jumped into the cart, I justify by saying it makes sense to buy more hoyas to save on shipping. ; ) hehe

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 7:25AM
bougainvillea(8b/ VA Beach)

Hoya Carnosa Krimson Queen....first time she bloomed for me :)

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 11:22PM
Jan Sword

Boug, great photos! congrats & welcome. I am surprised your plant flowered because the plant doesn't look too old.
Good growing!!!
Jan

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 10:29AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Maid, I have Diversifolia and mine grew fast! I started with two free cuttings(Nov. 08) and now its in a 6" pot. Hoping it will bloom next spring? Please post pics when you get your hoyas. We might have to file a complaint to Gardino's about hoyas jumping in our shopping carts, w/out any provocation lol... congrats!

Bougainvillea, that is a very nice KQ and great job with your first bloom...its very pretty! BTW, I LOVE your cache pot!
Its absolutely perfect for that plant!

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 7:47PM

Jan that is a gorgeous plant. You know, I am going to be in real trouble if all mine get as big as yours.

Dee

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 8:45PM
johanna76

all lovely photos!

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 9:50AM
Jan Sword

Dee, thanks! yes I know. Hoyas do get big at times.
Here are H heuchkeliana Yellow.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 3:24PM

Boug, That is a really pretty plant and that pot you have it in definitely compliments the plant! Awesome!

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 4:19PM
dmichael619(8a)

this is a hoya that I have been growing for not quite 3 years now. I originally started with 3 two node cuttings of it from 3 different sources,all of which got potted up into the same pot.one died right away. The other 2 just sat for close to a year and a half doing absolutely nothing,I mean not even putting on as much as one new leaf in all that time. Then all of a sudden last February those 2,still single node cuttings began to grow. Well I now have a plant that is probably 200 nodes or more in size and is completely covering a globe shaped topiary that's at least as big and round as a standard sized basketball. It began making peduncles early on but has only recently started to form buds and yesterday the first set of those opened!!! These are the coolest snow white fuzzy flowers that i've seen yet on a hoya

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 6:33PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Very pretty David...what kind of hoya is that? Lovely white blooms!!

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 8:54PM
Jan Sword

David, that's a beauty!! Is it greenii?

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 7:49AM
dmichael619(8a)

leave it to me to write 40 paragraphs about a hoya and never mention the name!!!! Sorry!! I had every intention on naming it and thought that I had but now that I have gone back and read what I wrote the first time, I see that I did manage to leave out the name!!! The hoya in question here is H. thomsonii and the fragrance has become one of my favorites. it reminds me of a spring flowering bulb of some sorts but i cant put my finger on which one!!!

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 4:40PM
ebocicada

What a wonderful thomsonii! It is in my wishlist for quite sometime. Congratulations!

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 3:36AM
More Discussions
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
Hoya Krimson Queen with her crown
This is a 15 year old plant , she has never bloomed,...
smi2
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
H. carnosa
I got these as cuttings from my father's plants, he...
tropicbreezent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™