My Dischidia flower is opening

cpawl(8)October 24, 2010

Hi

My dischidia is slowly opening her flowers,one a day.

It has a faint fragrance but I'm able to pin point the what the is smell.Family members say sort of like lemony perfume.

Thanks for looking.

Cindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cpawl(8)

The name of this Dischidia is sp camiguin Island.On a other site it states this one smells like a oncidium orchid.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 12:27AM
denise_gw

Pretty! It reminds me of the flowers on my D. oiantha Schltr. that has large flower clusters, though they have no fragrance I can detect. Can you post a photo of the leaves?

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 10:04AM
cpawl(8)

Hi Denise
I have really fallen in love with how this Dischidia grows.
Close up view of the leaves.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 11:09AM
mdahms1979

I think I am going to add another imbricate growing Dischidia to my collection, maybe once I find out how those bubble envelope cuttings held up. I really like the look of your plant.

I have Dischidia imbricata but it is looking kinda sad because it got attacked by thrips which took me a little while to deal with. Your plant looks vigorous and fairly large, just how big are those leaves?

Mike

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 11:59AM
cpawl(8)

Heres a photo to show the size of the leaves.Most are this size but there are a few that are a bit smaller. I checked last night if the fragrance would be stronger but none was detected.This morning it was fairly strong.

I find this plant easy to grow.I have it planted in my coir mix.I have given it a piece of wood to cling to.

Cindy

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 1:00PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Very cute flowers Cindy...I only have one Dischidia and its the watermelon(ovata)? but it hasn't bloomed yet.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 1:18PM
greedygh0st

I too feel inspired to a new love for Dischidia by this plant of yours. Which is lucky, since I just moved to a place with a lot of Northern windows and, since all the East and West window spots have been spoken for, shade lovers might be all that is in my future!

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 1:55PM
denise_gw

Oh, that is a beauty! I grow one imbricate Dischidia and it took about 4 times to get it rooted. It's much different - leaves are a bit gnarly/rough, not smooth like yours. I've tried one like or similar to yours but couldn't get it to root. Where did you get yours? Was it already a rooted plant, or did you root it as a cutting?

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 11:01PM
cpawl(8)

Hi
This Dischidia followed me home from Bangkok this spring It was a small rooted plant .I have rooted cuttings in hydro balls and I have given cuttings away to a friend and they also were able to root this one the same way.This Dischida comes from the Philippians so I never really let it get to dry before watering.It grew a lot for me this summer.It sort of looked stingy with out a lot leaves but it grew a lot of leaves around the top of the pot.It now looks nice.

Cindy

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 12:16AM
More Discussions
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
A little O.T., but relevant...
I've always been a little frustrated by the quandary...
denise_gw
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
Where to get Hoya Cuttings or starts (from Canada)
Hello, I have a few Hoya's, but I would like to add...
rcharles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™