dehydrating herbs

eyesofthewolf(8b)November 7, 2010

I am sorry to post here but you fine folk are so helpful, I enjoy your comments and advice, :o):o):o) I just bought a dehydrator from nesco "open country" it does not have a thermostat so it is used for thicker food items ie, jerky and fleshy veggies. Well I bought this one because $ is an issue and it was 30$ so I figure I will get by until things start looking up then I can get something that is more fancy. But for now thats what I can work with. I harvested some basil and rosemary and did the prewash and drying then set them in the unit after 15 min I went to check and the leaves had turned dark greenish brown instead of staying the bright green of fresh picked so I turned the unit off thinking I was cooking them instead of drying them, the rosemary seems ok. Guys I am so sorry about being so nieve and asking stupid questions but aren't the leaves supposed to stay green? I did try to do research by google and there didn't seem to be a answer to my question. I know things are done by trial and error but sometimes its just nice to glean info from others and their errors. lol. Thanks :o)Deanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

Different herbs require different times and different treatments or methods, so mixing them in the dryer isn't always a good idea. Basil is far more delicate than rosemary.

Probably your herbs stayed in the dehydrator too long at too high a temperature. Sometimes air-drying or even oven-drying works better if your dehydrator only operates at high.

Here's a link to an article I think may help. Mountain Rose Herbs is a good company. You might want to sign up for their newsletter.

Good luck. Stuff happens. Just chalk it up to experience. The next attempt will go better.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: The Art of Drying Herbs

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 2:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eyesofthewolf(8b)

Thanks Carol, I will get the hang of this food preservation one day lol. Maybe I might even get good at it. Thanks for the link I will enjoy all the ideas. :o)Deanna

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™