Garden Snails - help!

sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)December 5, 2012

Just moved into a new older home in south Florida (Pembroke Pines) and the front flower bed has brown snails. They are eating my plants. I have read that Decollate Snails will control them. Does anyone know where to buy these snails? I don't want to use poisons. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

Have you tried beer? I've heard it works for snails as well as slugs, though I haven't tried it myself.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:49PM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

I use iron phosphate-based slug & snail pellets (from Home Depot) - it's not a poison, but kills the snails, then breaks down into fertilizer. You simply sprinkle the pellets around the area you want to protect - several co.s make it.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 10:06AM
sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)

Will give the beer a try until I can get to the store and get some iron phosphate. Thanks for the suggestions. :-)

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 3:55PM
loufloralcityz9

writersblock,

Just how much beer do I have to drink before the snails leave?
I suppose if I drink enough beer I wont care about the snails.
Do I have to drink the beer in front of the snails?

MOO

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 11:41AM
billbrandi(9)

Lou - I think since snails are generally recognized as a delicacy in French cuisine you would probably have to drink a French brand. Jenlain comes to mind but not sure it is available locally. You might try Stella Artois (Belgian) and see if that works. Anyhow:

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:33AM
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

No, no...Lou needs to marinate the snails in the beer, then cook and eat them. He should use the marinating liquid to make a fine sauce. (That way the beer doesn't go to waste!)

Not being such a devotee to haute cuisine, I used to pour the cheapest beer I could find into a dish and set it on the ground with the lip roughly level with the ground, so the snails would crawl in and drown. I used to set the beer out in the evening, since more slugs and snails will come out at night. Apologies to Lou, but I used to dump the beer and dead snails in the morning rather than sautee the snails for breakfast. ;-)

At first I used a pie pan, which worked just fine. But since this was to protect the hostas in the front bed, I eventually upgraded to a cute little ceramic snail designed for this purpose. Then I realized my hostas were going to die even if I kept the snails and slugs off them, and left the ceramic snail in the yard for all slimy legless creatures to worship.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 10:56AM
sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)

Lou, that is too funny. Well I did try the beer, it worked but there are probably hundreds of these snails in my yard, on my house, my neighbors houses and just everywhere. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/malacology/fl-snail/snails1.htm

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 4:24PM
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b

I had a big problem and have just resolved it. I got the pellets slugo stuff from home depot. There is one type I avoided it had a poison. I got the iron only. I found that using a hand crank broadcaster was the most efficient method. I put it in all bushes, around trees, anywhere there was no grass. Very good results.

Decolate predators are illegal. Could do more damage than good. So they say.

I feel that I will never get rid of them and the best hope is to control them. For now, I have the upper hand.

I've heard of a giant invasive snail down south. The thought of them concerns me. That could be a big menace.

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 4:45PM
morningloree(9b)

Good thing you don't need Vodka...sound like getting rid of snails could be too much fun. My grandmother got so mad at me when I was about five, I thought snails were cool and went around and collected them from neighbor's yards just for her.

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 9:47PM
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

I just toss any snails I find on my plants into the pond. Judging by the number of empty snail shells I found at the bottom of the pond last time I cleaned it something in there has a taste for snails! I seem to have plenty of snails and slugs in my garden but either I have so many plants that I've never noticed the damage or something roaming the garden also has a taste for snails and slugs. I have found empty shells of the rosy wolf snail (Euglandina rosea), which is a native snail that eats other snails, in my garden so maybe they are what is keeping the pest snail population in check.

I found an interesting article about various terrestrial snails in florida if anyone wants to read it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/gastro/terrestrial_snails.htm

This post was edited by karalynn on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 13:09

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
New bird food!
Ellen, the 90 year old, cut off the end of a piece...
thonotorose
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
crinum flowers
This started blooming just before our expected freeze....
marcia_m
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™